Dave Irvin brings his extensive experience in facilities to NACUBO Consulting. He has led university facilities as a senior leader in five states including the University of Houston and the University of Tennessee. Recently he led a facilities team of 1,000+ at Florida State University, overseeing planning, design, construction, custodial, grounds, utilities, maintenance, operations, sustainability/recycling, environmental health and safety, parking, transportation and emergency management for 400 buildings, 22 million SF with an annual budget of $100M; and a $2 billion capital construction/renewal program.
Aspects of his career include:
- Developed masterplans for 16 different campuses and six new campuses including academic, research, housing, transportation, capital renewal, and city/regional plans
- Created total cost of ownership models including revising master and strategic plans to include maintenance and operating costs and long term deferred maintenance strategies
- Created new post-COVID space optimization approaches, strategies, and plans
- Led major campus-wide facilities service department reorganizations, in each case blending multiple facilities groups into one cohesive team resulting in dramatic cost efficiencies/savings, improved service, increased campus mission support and improved facilities team morale, recruitment, and retention
- Analyzed then reorganized/streamlined facilities and capital policies and procedures dramatically saving time and money
- Won national awards for masterplan innovation and innovative service to the profession
Irvin has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Nebraska and the University of Houston and also currently serves as chair of APPA International. He received his bachelor's in architecture from the University of Nebraska.