The novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, is a rapidly changing global health issue. While NACUBO is actively updating a page with resources specific to the business office, this page catalogs some general resources and relevant news. More NACUBO risk management and campus security resources are available here.
NACUBO recommends that campuses in the U.S. follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidance, which is evolving rapidly in response to the current coronavirus threat, and contact local or state health departments for additional guidance (see below for more information).
Tracking Novel Coronavirus
This live heatmap from Johns Hopkins University tracks confirmed cases, deaths, and recoveries associated with COVID-19. Related information and resources are available here.
This bulletin from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ensures that HIPAA covered entities and their business associates are aware of how they can share patient information under the HIPAA Privacy Rule in the event of an outbreak or emergency situation.
The CDC has resources to respond to the spread of COVID-19.
A World Health Organization (WHO) resource page provides global perspective on the coronavirus pandemic, FAQs, and advice for staying safe.
A June 2013 guide by the Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance Center details how college and university administrators can develop emergency operations plans to respond to a variety of threats including infectious diseases.
NACUBO in the News
NACUBO experts have been responding to frequent media inquiries about how COVID-19 is affecting colleges and universities across the country:
- Liz Clark, NACUBO vice president, policy and research, responded to questions about college closures from Money magazine.
- Bryan Dickson, NACUBO director, student financial services and educational programs, discussed the University of California's decision to suspend interest and payments on Perkins Loans with The Washington Post
- Matt Hamill, NACUBO senior vice president, strategies and solutions, spoke with The Chronicle of Higher Education for their coverage of association conferences.
- Jim Hundrieser, NACUBO vice president for consulting services, discussed revenue and refunds with Education Dive.
- Sue Menditto, NACUBO senior director, accounting policy, spoke with the Chronicle of Higher Education about the financial health of private colleges.
- Megan Schneider, NACUBO senior director, government affairs, spoke with Financial Times about donor intent in college and university endowments.
Notable Media Coverage
Various higher education and business news sources have written about the effects of coronavirus on college and university administration. This is a selection of articles most relevant to the business office and campus operations: