NACUBO invites you to share your expertise and practical wisdom in planning, resource allocation, analysis, decision making, or communication issues affecting higher education institutions by submitting a proposal to present at the 2021 Planning and Budgeting Forum, taking place September 13, 14 and 17. The deadline to submit presentation proposals is June 11, 2021.
It is important to note that we are looking for in-depth and practical treatments on what your institution has done—or is doing-- to improve services, processes, efficiencies, success, or the bottom line. Focus on strategies and tactics that will resonate with a higher education audience – how your institution addressed an issue, challenges you overcame, effective collaborations, etc. We invite you to propose content that is relevant, innovative, and useful for your college and university colleagues. We invite sessions that demonstrate how your institution pivoted during the COVID-19 pandemic, and we strongly prefer sessions that incorporate a substantial amount of audience engagement, ask pointed questions, or poll the audience to keep them involved throughout, especially in an online environment.
The following list is illustrative of the presentation topics we are looking to have addressed--relevant topics not appearing on the list will be considered.
- Auxiliary planning
- Building operating budgets in times of uncertainty
- Cost reduction – becoming more efficient
- Dashboards and reporting
- Effective use of analytics
- Infrastructure and technology planning
- Leveraging reserves
- Linking strategic and financial plans
- Operation impact of COVID-19 – how work structures and staffing have changed
- Program costing and prioritization
- Rethinking risk management
- Scenario planning for all types of contingencies
- Shared services and multi-institution collaboration
- Space utilization
In selecting proposals, we will be looking for educational content that spotlights new approaches and resources and offers content that will appeal to attendees from many types of institutions. Some key considerations as you prepare your proposal:
- Focus on presenting the concept, rules, then ample time for application of campus scenarios to illustrate it. Include as much detail as possible about the presentation.
- Include at least 3 learning objectives or audience takeaways.
- Gear the presentation towards an audience at the advanced level of understanding. Basic treatments or overviews are less likely to be selected.
- NACUBO encourages submissions that include panelists representing institutions of different types and sizes.
- Address how your presentation will incorporate NACUBO’s principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Guidelines for Submission
- The deadline for Planning and Budgeting Forum submissions is June 11, 2021.
- Submission of a presentation does not guarantee participation in the program.
- Include all presenters that will take part in the presentation. Do not list co-presenters without definite commitment that the co-presenter will be on the program. The co-presenter(s) must agree to all the terms and conditions for participation.
- Proposals from business partner members must include at least one speaker from a member college or university.
- Selected speakers/co-presenters from college and university member institutions will receive a discounted registration rate for the meeting. Speakers will not receive any royalties, honorarium, reimbursement of expenses, or other compensation from NACUBO in connection with the forum.
- The person listed as the primary contact for the proposal will be informed of the final decision.
- All selected speakers will receive an official confirmation letter. Speakers must complete an agreement form and be from NACUBO member organizations in order to be confirmed for a session.
- Acceptance notifications will be sent by July 31, 2021.
- NACUBO reserves the right to revise presentation titles or edit the session description of selected presentations for NACUBO promotional and program publications.