Skip to content Menu

The IRS has updated the frequently asked questions for higher education emergency grants to clarify for taxpayers and tax professionals that—

  • Federal relief funds used by the institution to cancel or discharge a balance on a student’s account will not be included in the student’s gross income, because the debt is being paid by the federal government in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Institutions are not required to file or furnish Forms 1099-MISC, reporting amounts used to pay students’ overdue balances

This guidance is explained in questions 8 and 9 of the updated FAQ, which was published on February 15.

While there is no new information from the IRS related to 1098-T reporting requirements, NACUBO stands by our interpretation that, following the logic of existing IRS guidance, amounts of institutional grant funds used to discharge student balances also should not be reported on the Form 1098-T. We’ve developed a six-minute video addressing this issue to help institutions address the many questions that have arisen.


Mary Bachinger

Director, Tax Policy


Related Content

IRS Issues Rules for Recapturing Pandemic-Related Employment Credits

The IRS will treat erroneous refunds of COVID-19-related paid sick and family leave and employee retention credits paid to employers as underpayment of taxes, according to new temporary regulations.

Members Only

Characterizing Student Athletes as Employees: It’s Complicated

Alexander Reid, partner at the law firm BakerHostetler, discusses issues raised by a memo from the National Labor Relations Board General Counsel, which proposed to classify some college athletes as employees.

IRS Seeks Comments on New Energy Credits

The Department of the Treasury and the IRS have issued six notices asking for public comments on various aspects of extensions and enhancements of energy tax benefits enacted in the Inflation Reduction Act. The credits offer new opportunities for colleges and universities to invest in renewable energy.