Sierra magazine recently released its list of the most “eco-literate” colleges, with input from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE).
The rankings include eleven components: co-curricular, energy, investments, food, innovation, academics, planning, purchasing, transport, waste, and water.
Most of the top 100 campuses are NACUBO members. This year’s top 10 Cool Schools are:
- College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, Maine
- Green Mountain College, Poultney, Vermont
- Sterling College, Craftsbury Common, Vermont
- State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, New York
- Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon
- Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California
- Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
- University of California, Irvine
- Colby College, Waterville, Maine
- University of San Diego, California
To further gauge your campus efforts, check out the APPA-NACUBO Key Facilities Metrics Survey. For the fourth year, NACUBO members can answer five questions on consumption, including BTU and electrical (energy), waste (recycling and garbage), water, and the carbon footprint. The 2017 survey is available now and will remain open through December 11.