The decline in mental health of college students has been a growing concern, and one that has compounded since the pandemic. Research confirms that the mental health of students has become a substantial risk to institutional enrollment and has compounding impacts for how institutions best respond.
According to data from the American College Health Association, it is likely that tens of thousands of students withdraw each year due to mental health conditions such as stress, anxiety, and depression. More than 113,000 students took a leave of absence in 2021, which included medical leaves for mental health reasons, according to the National Student Clearinghouse.
Students who stop-out may face substantial financial losses and also owe schools money. These financial burdens dampen a student’s ability to return and eventually graduate.
This webcast will share trends and best practices in reducing the financial, institutional, and emotional risks of declining student mental health.
This Partner Webcast is created by GradGuard and offered free for members thanks to their generous support.
This webcast and webcast materials (the “webcast”) are provided for general informational purposes only. The views expressed in the webcast are those of the webcast sponsor and/or individual speakers and not NACUBO. NACUBO does not necessarily endorse any information, views, products, or services discussed in the webcast.
What You Will Learn
- Identify the mental health issues impacting students and the tools and resources campuses are finding to help combat the situation
- Facilitate campus-specific discussion on how to reduce risks surrounding the uptick in student mental health conditions
- Locate the national tools and resources available to campuses, including the JED Foundation, and emerging practices used by institutions to address the emotional health of students.
Meet the Presenters
- Talea Drummer-Ferrell, associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students, Kent State University
- John King, vice president of student life, Roger Williams University
- Nance Roy, chief clinical officer, JED Foundation
- John Fees, co-founder and managing director, GradGuard
How to Attend
After you register, you will navigate to your NACUBO classroom to attend the live event and later access the recording.