Treasury Department Reports College Education Boosts Competitiveness
December 14, 2012
On December 13, 2012, the U.S. Department of the Treasury (Treasury), together with the U.S. Department of Education (ED), issued a report and corresponding fact sheet on the economic imperative of investing in education. The report touches on the current state of higher education, financial aid and policies to promote accessibility and affordability.
In a Treasury blog post promoting the report, Jan Eberly, Assistant Secretary for Economic Policy and Chief Economist at Treasury and Carmel Martin, Assistant Secretary for Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development at ED, focus on the key finds of the report:
- Students are bearing a greater share of the college costs than a generation ago.
- People with more education typically earn more and have a lower likelihood of being unemployed.
- Education significantly increases the ability of children to move up the economic ladder.
Eberly and Martin all bring attention to the Obama administration policies of:
- Raising Pell grants
- Introducing the American Opportunity Tax Credit
- Keeping Stafford loan interest rates low
- Expanding income-based repayment
In conclusion, the report contends, "As budgets at all levels of government are likely to remain under pressure, policy makers will continue to face tradeoffs between education and other public priorities, and it is crucial that we all remain well-informed about the impact of higher education for individuals and society at large."
Director, Congressional Relations
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis