The 2012 Tuition Discounting Study Has Been Released
May 2, 2013
The 2012 Tuition Discounting Study (TDS) shows a drop in enrollment, a large jump in the discount rate, and falling net tuition revenue for 2011 at private, nonprofit colleges and universities. This year's discounting study includes charts and tables on:
- Percentage of institutions that experienced a decline in enrollment
- Distribution of enrollment changes
- CBOs' perceptions on loss or gain in enrollment
- Average discount rate for first-time, full-time freshmen and all undergraduates
- Distribution of the freshmen discount rate
- Acceptance rate and yield rate
- Distribution of institutions' changes in their freshmen discount rate,
- Percentage of freshmen and all undergraduates receiving an institutional grant
- Percentage of tuition and fees covered by an institutional grant on average
- Average change in net tuition revenue
- Inflation-adjusted average change in net tuition revenue
- Percentage of institutional grant aid funded by endowment
- Percentage of institutional grant aid that met student need
The Appendix contains an additional 80 tables.
If you were a participating institution you can access your complimentary copy through NACUBO's Online Research portal by following the instructions below:
- Go to www.nacubo.org
- Select the "My NACUBO" button on the upper right corner of the page
- Type in your institutional e-mail address and NACUBO membership password in the spaces provided (or you can select the Forgot Password link to reset your password)
- On the next page, select the link to NACUBO Online Research Publications
- Click on the 2012 Tuition Discounting Study link in the left column. (You can click the "+" sign to expand the full report to view and print subsections of the report.) All of the materials for this study will be displayed in the center pane.
If your institution did not participate in the study and you would like to purchase this online publication, please visit the 2012 Tuition Discounting Study product page and then follow the login instructions above to access the results.
BENCHMARKING TOOL UPDATE
Survey data from the 2012 TDS has been loaded into Benchmarking Tool and is available for participants to use on May 7. Please visit the Benchmarking Tool webpage for more information about the Tool.
Natalie Pullaro Davis
Manager, Research and Policy Analysis
- NACUBO and FASB Discuss Grant Revenue Recognition
- ED Proposes Auditing Safeguards Rule Compliance
- NACUBO and ACE to Negotiate Rates for Use of Music on Campus
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 7-9, 2017
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis in Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections and Clarifications
Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Results of the 2016 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
- ON-DEMAND: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO