Staff at Independent Institutions see Salary Freezes and Benefit Cuts
August 26, 2009
According to a new report by Yaffe & Company, "Recession's Impact on Executive Compensation in Independent Colleges & Universities," 67 percent of staff had their salaries frozen, while 9 percent experienced a salary reduction. Most of these adjustments in compensations affected everyone at the institution.
During a recession, freezing salaries is a common method to address budgetary problems. This recession, however, has affected benefits as well. More than half of the respondents reported that their institutions were reducing employees' benefits. One fourth of them are reducing or eliminating retirement employer contributions. Another 27 percent are increasing the employee's share of health benefit costs.
Furthermore, most staff at independent higher education institutions (59 percent) don't have variable-pay plans based on achievement, discretion, or a combination of both. More than one fourth (28%) of the institutions that have a variable-pay plan for employees are suspending such programs, and 15 percent are reducing the maximum award potential.
To see a full copy of the report visit www.yaffeco.com.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis