Staff at Independent Institutions see Salary Freezes and Benefit Cuts
August 26, 2009
According to a new report by Yaffe & Company, "Recession's Impact on Executive Compensation in Independent Colleges & Universities," 67 percent of staff had their salaries frozen, while 9 percent experienced a salary reduction. Most of these adjustments in compensations affected everyone at the institution.
During a recession, freezing salaries is a common method to address budgetary problems. This recession, however, has affected benefits as well. More than half of the respondents reported that their institutions were reducing employees' benefits. One fourth of them are reducing or eliminating retirement employer contributions. Another 27 percent are increasing the employee's share of health benefit costs.
Furthermore, most staff at independent higher education institutions (59 percent) don't have variable-pay plans based on achievement, discretion, or a combination of both. More than one fourth (28%) of the institutions that have a variable-pay plan for employees are suspending such programs, and 15 percent are reducing the maximum award potential.
To see a full copy of the report visit www.yaffeco.com.
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis