Staff at Independent Institutions see Salary Freezes and Benefit Cuts
August 26, 2009
According to a new report by Yaffe & Company, "Recession's Impact on Executive Compensation in Independent Colleges & Universities," 67 percent of staff had their salaries frozen, while 9 percent experienced a salary reduction. Most of these adjustments in compensations affected everyone at the institution.
During a recession, freezing salaries is a common method to address budgetary problems. This recession, however, has affected benefits as well. More than half of the respondents reported that their institutions were reducing employees' benefits. One fourth of them are reducing or eliminating retirement employer contributions. Another 27 percent are increasing the employee's share of health benefit costs.
Furthermore, most staff at independent higher education institutions (59 percent) don't have variable-pay plans based on achievement, discretion, or a combination of both. More than one fourth (28%) of the institutions that have a variable-pay plan for employees are suspending such programs, and 15 percent are reducing the maximum award potential.
To see a full copy of the report visit www.yaffeco.com.
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis