SHEEO Issues Report on Staffing Trends at Public Institutions
June 9, 2011
A report issued by the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) suggests that public colleges and universities are operating more efficiently than before, and with appropriate numbers of staff.
The report, "Staffing Trends in Public Colleges and Universities," uses data from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System and Carnegie classifications to show trends in staff and faculty at public institutions. The report also breaks down "staff" into primary function categories such as administrators, faculty, and graduate assistants, as well as full- and part-time.
While total staff levels grew 18 percent from 2001 to 2009, the total number of FTE students grew by 29 percent, resulting in a decrease in the overall number of staff per 100 FTE students by 8 percent. "Most institutions improved their educational efficiency by educating more students with fewer staffing resources," the SHEEO report stated.
In that period, though, part-time faculty per 100 student FTE increased 2 percent, from 3.82 to 3.89, while full-time faculty decreased 9 percent, from 4.59 to 4.20. Overall, faculty per 100-student FTE decreased 4 percent from 2001-2009.
Executive/administrative levels fell from 1.14 staff per 100-student FTE to 0.91, a 20 percent decline. Graduate assistants remained relatively constant from 2001-2009, increasing only 1 percent, from 2.49 to 2.53.
The full report is available as a .pdf on the SHEEO website.
- Program Integrity Rulemaking to Be Delayed
- Associations Respond to McCaskill Sexual Assault Legislation
- COFAR Releases Frequently Asked Questions on OMB's Super Circular
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis