Research and Development Expenditures at College and Universities Double in Decade
July 28, 2005
Research and development (R&D) expenditures at colleges and universities reached more than $40 billion in FY03, doubling the R&D expenditures from FY93, according to data from the National Science Foundation’s Survey of Research and Development Expenditures at Universities and Colleges. According to the study, fiscal years 2002 and 2003 experienced the fastest growth rate in R&D expenditures since FY 1985-86.
Federal funds continue to fuel the majority of the growth. The federal share of support for academic R&D grew 13 percent from FY02 to FY03 and now totals $24.7 billion or 62 percent of the total funding. Institutional funding provides the largest source of non-federal funding, followed by support from state and local governments.
For the first time, the survey provides information on the source of federal support by federal agency. The largest federal source of funding was the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), primarily through the National Institutes of Health. HHS provided $10.9 billion of the federal funding for academic R&D in FY03. Not surprisingly, the medical sciences and biological sciences combined accounted for half of all R&D expenditures during FY03.
Also for the first time, the survey reported funding information for research fields outside of science and engineering. Of the $1.37 billion in non-science and engineering R&D expenditures, the majority ($597 million) supported education research.
The National Science Foundation has released an InfoBrief with the major findings of the survey. The detailed tables and full report will be available at a later date.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis