Research and Development Expenditures at College and Universities Double in Decade
July 28, 2005
Research and development (R&D) expenditures at colleges and universities reached more than $40 billion in FY03, doubling the R&D expenditures from FY93, according to data from the National Science Foundation’s Survey of Research and Development Expenditures at Universities and Colleges. According to the study, fiscal years 2002 and 2003 experienced the fastest growth rate in R&D expenditures since FY 1985-86.
Federal funds continue to fuel the majority of the growth. The federal share of support for academic R&D grew 13 percent from FY02 to FY03 and now totals $24.7 billion or 62 percent of the total funding. Institutional funding provides the largest source of non-federal funding, followed by support from state and local governments.
For the first time, the survey provides information on the source of federal support by federal agency. The largest federal source of funding was the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), primarily through the National Institutes of Health. HHS provided $10.9 billion of the federal funding for academic R&D in FY03. Not surprisingly, the medical sciences and biological sciences combined accounted for half of all R&D expenditures during FY03.
Also for the first time, the survey reported funding information for research fields outside of science and engineering. Of the $1.37 billion in non-science and engineering R&D expenditures, the majority ($597 million) supported education research.
The National Science Foundation has released an InfoBrief with the major findings of the survey. The detailed tables and full report will be available at a later date.
- Associations Respond to DACA and DREAM Act Concerns
- Congress Makes Changes to GI Bill Education Benefits
- CFPB Report Criticizes Campus Banking Agreements
- 2017 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 23-24, 2017
- 2017 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 1-3, 2017
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:15AM ET
- WEBCAST: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus