Private Giving Up Again in 2005
March 2, 2006
Contributions to postsecondary institutions in the United States increased for the second consecutive year, growing by 4.9 percent to $25.6 billion from 2004 to 2005, according to the Voluntary Support of Education survey by the Council for Aid to Education. Gifts from individuals contributed nearly half of the $25.6 billion raised in 2005. Alumni giving drove a significant portion of the increase, as did support from foundations and other organizations.
The annual survey tracks giving to higher education and private K-12 education and includes data from 1,005 four-year institutions, capturing approximately 85 percent of the voluntary support raised by colleges and universities. Highlights of the survey:
- The increase in giving to the top 10 fundraising universities accounted for half of the total growth in giving in 2005.
- The top three fundraising universities for 2005 are Stanford ($603.59 million), the University of Wisconsin–Madison ($595.22 million), and Harvard ($589.86 million).
- Although the total dollar amount of alumni giving increased in 2005, the percentage of alumni who donate decreased--as it has been since 2001.
The full report will be available in May. To read the press release, go to the Council for Aid to Education’s Web site.
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Fair Value Proposal
- IRS Again Issues 1098-T Fine Notices
- SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reform
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- WEBCAST: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis