Private Giving Up Again in 2005
March 2, 2006
Contributions to postsecondary institutions in the United States increased for the second consecutive year, growing by 4.9 percent to $25.6 billion from 2004 to 2005, according to the Voluntary Support of Education survey by the Council for Aid to Education. Gifts from individuals contributed nearly half of the $25.6 billion raised in 2005. Alumni giving drove a significant portion of the increase, as did support from foundations and other organizations.
The annual survey tracks giving to higher education and private K-12 education and includes data from 1,005 four-year institutions, capturing approximately 85 percent of the voluntary support raised by colleges and universities. Highlights of the survey:
- The increase in giving to the top 10 fundraising universities accounted for half of the total growth in giving in 2005.
- The top three fundraising universities for 2005 are Stanford ($603.59 million), the University of Wisconsin–Madison ($595.22 million), and Harvard ($589.86 million).
- Although the total dollar amount of alumni giving increased in 2005, the percentage of alumni who donate decreased--as it has been since 2001.
The full report will be available in May. To read the press release, go to the Council for Aid to Education’s Web site.
- College Endowment Average Return Falls to 2.4 Percent in FY15, Endowment Spending Up Sharply
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Student Financial Services
March 13-15, 2016
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis