Private Giving Continues to Rise in 2006
February 26, 2007
Contributions to postsecondary institutions in the United States increased for the third consecutive year, growing by 9.4 percent to $28 billion from 2005 to 2006, according to the Voluntary Support of Education survey by the Council for Aid to Education. The increase can be attributed primarily to alumni and other individuals, whose combined contributions amounted to slightly more than half of the $28 billion given in 2006.
The annual survey tracks all sources of giving to higher education and includes data from 1,014 four-year institutions, capturing approximately 85 percent of the voluntary support raised by colleges and universities. Highlights of the survey include the following:
- Although the total dollar amount of alumni giving increased in 2006, the percentage of alumni who donate decreased from 12.4 percent in 2005 to 11.8 percent in 2006. This has been a continuing trend since 2001.
- The top three fundraising universities for 2006 are Stanford University ($911.2 million), Harvard University ($594.9 million), and Yale University ($433.5 million).
- The average value of individual gifts to institutions made in the form of securities was $47,806--the highest on record.
- Alumni are more likely to support the institution that granted them an undergraduate degree than they are to support an institution from which they received a graduate degree.
The results of the survey along with a full analysis of the trends will be published in the spring of 2007 and made available through the Council for Aid to Education’s Web site.
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis