Postsecondary Enrollment Projected to Increase; Women's Enrollment Continues to Outpace Men's
October 5, 2005
Enrollment in degree-granting institutions is projected to increase 12 percent for men and 21 percent for women by 2014, according to a new compendium of statistics published by the National Center for Education Statistics. In Projections of Education Statistics to 2014, NCES has provided statistics on elementary and secondary schools and degree-granting postsecondary institutions. Included are projections of enrollment, graduates, teachers, and expenditures to the year 2014.
The following are highlights from the data collected:
(Data are between 2002 and 2014 – middle alternative projections)
- The number of public high school graduates is expected to increase 9 percent, whereas private high school graduates are projected to increase by 15 percent.
- Total enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions is projected to increase 17 percent to 19.5 million.
- Enrollment is projected to increase 16 percent for undergraduate students, 21 percent for graduate students, and 32 percent for first-time professional students.
- Current-fund expenditures in constant 2002-03 dollars are projected to increase 53 percent to $223 billion for public four-year institutions and 62 percent to $50 billion dollars for public two-year institutions by 2014.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs