Postsecondary Enrollment Projected to Increase; Women's Enrollment Continues to Outpace Men's
October 5, 2005
Enrollment in degree-granting institutions is projected to increase 12 percent for men and 21 percent for women by 2014, according to a new compendium of statistics published by the National Center for Education Statistics. In Projections of Education Statistics to 2014, NCES has provided statistics on elementary and secondary schools and degree-granting postsecondary institutions. Included are projections of enrollment, graduates, teachers, and expenditures to the year 2014.
The following are highlights from the data collected:
(Data are between 2002 and 2014 – middle alternative projections)
- The number of public high school graduates is expected to increase 9 percent, whereas private high school graduates are projected to increase by 15 percent.
- Total enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions is projected to increase 17 percent to 19.5 million.
- Enrollment is projected to increase 16 percent for undergraduate students, 21 percent for graduate students, and 32 percent for first-time professional students.
- Current-fund expenditures in constant 2002-03 dollars are projected to increase 53 percent to $223 billion for public four-year institutions and 62 percent to $50 billion dollars for public two-year institutions by 2014.
- College Endowment Average Return Falls to 2.4 Percent in FY15, Endowment Spending Up Sharply
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Student Financial Services
March 13-15, 2016
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis