Percentage of Part-time Faculty and Instructional Staff Continues to Increase
June 1, 2005
According to the first analysis of data from the 2004 National Study of Postsecondary Faculty (NSOPF:04), 44 percent of faculty and instructional staff at all institutions in fall 2003 were part-time compared with 33 percent in 1987 (the first year of data collection). The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) data briefing provides detailed information about faculty and instructional staff at two- and four-year degree-granting institutions by gender, race/ethnicity, tenure status, and income.
Other major findings from the study include:
- Eight out of 10 full-time faculty and instructional staff were white.
- More than 60 percent of full-time faculty and instructional staff were male.
- Among full-time faculty and instructional staff, the average total income in 2003 was $81,200; for part-time faculty and instructional staff, the average was $52,500.
- Almost half (48 percent) of full-time faculty and instructional staff held tenure.
Further analysis of the NSOPF:04 data will be conducted by NCES. For more information on other NCES reports, see the NACUBO research Web pages.
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Fair Value Proposal
- IRS Again Issues 1098-T Fine Notices
- SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reform
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- WEBCAST: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis