Percentage of Part-time Faculty and Instructional Staff Continues to Increase
June 1, 2005
According to the first analysis of data from the 2004 National Study of Postsecondary Faculty (NSOPF:04), 44 percent of faculty and instructional staff at all institutions in fall 2003 were part-time compared with 33 percent in 1987 (the first year of data collection). The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) data briefing provides detailed information about faculty and instructional staff at two- and four-year degree-granting institutions by gender, race/ethnicity, tenure status, and income.
Other major findings from the study include:
- Eight out of 10 full-time faculty and instructional staff were white.
- More than 60 percent of full-time faculty and instructional staff were male.
- Among full-time faculty and instructional staff, the average total income in 2003 was $81,200; for part-time faculty and instructional staff, the average was $52,500.
- Almost half (48 percent) of full-time faculty and instructional staff held tenure.
Further analysis of the NSOPF:04 data will be conducted by NCES. For more information on other NCES reports, see the NACUBO research Web pages.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis