Percentage of Part-time Faculty and Instructional Staff Continues to Increase
June 1, 2005
According to the first analysis of data from the 2004 National Study of Postsecondary Faculty (NSOPF:04), 44 percent of faculty and instructional staff at all institutions in fall 2003 were part-time compared with 33 percent in 1987 (the first year of data collection). The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) data briefing provides detailed information about faculty and instructional staff at two- and four-year degree-granting institutions by gender, race/ethnicity, tenure status, and income.
Other major findings from the study include:
- Eight out of 10 full-time faculty and instructional staff were white.
- More than 60 percent of full-time faculty and instructional staff were male.
- Among full-time faculty and instructional staff, the average total income in 2003 was $81,200; for part-time faculty and instructional staff, the average was $52,500.
- Almost half (48 percent) of full-time faculty and instructional staff held tenure.
Further analysis of the NSOPF:04 data will be conducted by NCES. For more information on other NCES reports, see the NACUBO research Web pages.
- Congress Finalizes FY15 Federal Budget
- ED Proposes Changes to Rules on Teacher Preparation Programs
- The Wait Continues on Tax Extenders and Terrorism Risk Insurance Renewal
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis