Percentage of Part-time Faculty and Instructional Staff Continues to Increase
June 1, 2005
According to the first analysis of data from the 2004 National Study of Postsecondary Faculty (NSOPF:04), 44 percent of faculty and instructional staff at all institutions in fall 2003 were part-time compared with 33 percent in 1987 (the first year of data collection). The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) data briefing provides detailed information about faculty and instructional staff at two- and four-year degree-granting institutions by gender, race/ethnicity, tenure status, and income.
Other major findings from the study include:
- Eight out of 10 full-time faculty and instructional staff were white.
- More than 60 percent of full-time faculty and instructional staff were male.
- Among full-time faculty and instructional staff, the average total income in 2003 was $81,200; for part-time faculty and instructional staff, the average was $52,500.
- Almost half (48 percent) of full-time faculty and instructional staff held tenure.
Further analysis of the NSOPF:04 data will be conducted by NCES. For more information on other NCES reports, see the NACUBO research Web pages.
- Federal Education Budget Limited by Spending Caps
- Lawmakers Ease 1098-T Penalty Enforcement
- EPA Announces Athletic Conferences With Most Green Power
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
- ON-DEMAND: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis