Percentage of Part-time Faculty and Instructional Staff Continues to Increase
June 1, 2005
According to the first analysis of data from the 2004 National Study of Postsecondary Faculty (NSOPF:04), 44 percent of faculty and instructional staff at all institutions in fall 2003 were part-time compared with 33 percent in 1987 (the first year of data collection). The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) data briefing provides detailed information about faculty and instructional staff at two- and four-year degree-granting institutions by gender, race/ethnicity, tenure status, and income.
Other major findings from the study include:
- Eight out of 10 full-time faculty and instructional staff were white.
- More than 60 percent of full-time faculty and instructional staff were male.
- Among full-time faculty and instructional staff, the average total income in 2003 was $81,200; for part-time faculty and instructional staff, the average was $52,500.
- Almost half (48 percent) of full-time faculty and instructional staff held tenure.
Further analysis of the NSOPF:04 data will be conducted by NCES. For more information on other NCES reports, see the NACUBO research Web pages.
- College Endowment Average Return Falls to 2.4 Percent in FY15, Endowment Spending Up Sharply
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Student Financial Services
March 13-15, 2016
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis