Out-of-Pocket Net Price for College Still on the Rise NCES Report Finds
April 30, 2014
For full-time, full-year undergraduates attending four-year private nonprofit colleges and universities, the average "out-of-pocket" net price grew from $16,700 in 1999-2000 to $18,100 in 2011-12, according to a new report from the Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics. Net prices at four-year public institutions rose at an even faster rate, climbing from $10,100 to $11,800 during the same time frame. Two-year public colleges saw relatively moderate increases. The out-of-pocket costs for full-time students at these institutions rose 5 percent, from $9,400 to $9,900.
"Out-of-pocket" net price is the amount students and families must pay after all forms of financial aid (i.e., loans, grants, work-study, and other forms student aid) are received.
Out-of-pocket costs for undergraduates rose despite the fact that financial aid awards increased substantially during the period. The average amount of grant aid from all sources to students at four-year public colleges jumped 86 percent, while grant aid to those attending four-year private nonprofit schools increased 73 percent.
The results suggest that the cost of attending college is increasing at a higher rate than all forms of student financial aid.
Research and Policy Analysis Intern
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Fair Value Proposal
- IRS Again Issues 1098-T Fine Notices
- SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reform
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- WEBCAST: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis