Inflation-Adjusted Net Tuition Revenue at Private Institutions Flat
July 8, 2014
Low net tuition revenue figures, influenced by the growing discount rate for freshmen (projected to be 46.4 percent in academic year 2013-14), heated competition for enrollment, according to NACUBO's 2013 Tuition Discounting Study (TDS) released earlier this month. Large percentages of students receiving grants that cover over half (53.5 percent) of sticker price have left colleges and universities struggling to grow revenue to cover their increasing costs. The study revealed that private, four-year institutions are demonstrating their commitment to student access as 80.4 percent of dollars awarded in 2012 met students' financial need through a need-based grant or a merit-based grant that was used to meet need.
For more details about the study's findings, please see the 2013 TDS press release in the NACUBO Press Room.
Private Institution Participation
Looking ahead, the 2014 TDS will open for data collection early September. Current NACUBO members at private, four-year institutions that have undergraduate students will be emailed a unique link to access their survey. Emails will be sent to NACUBO primary representatives, unless otherwise designated. Please email Natalie Pullaro Davis to find out who at your institution can expect to receive the survey invitation. Stay tuned to the TDS Web page for more details.
TDS Advisory Board
Are you a chief business officer (CBO) at a public or private institution that has rich experience in tuition pricing, enrollment strategies, and/or discounting practices? Nominate yourself or a colleague to serve on the NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study Advisory Board. We are looking for new CBOs, enrollment management vice presidents, accountants, and other campus finance and business professionals to help shape the future of the Tuition Discounting Study. Send nominations to Natalie Pullaro Davis before August 1.
Sponsorship Opportunities for NACUBO Business Partners
The 2014 Tuition Discounting Study will be open to sponsorship in the form of a directory of providers included in the final report. Please contact Debi Cumbo, director of business development, for more details on the levels of support and benefits of sponsorship.
- Implementation of Overtime Proposal Could Cost Schools Millions
- NACUBO Responds to GASB Exposure Drafts
- ED Corrects Cash Management Rules
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives