Hiring Projections Offer Cautious Optimism for Class of 2014
April 30, 2014
A new survey released by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) offers a relatively optimistic forecast for the hiring of this year’s college graduates. The Job Outlook 2014 Spring Update survey shows that employers plan to hire 8.6 percent more graduates from the class of 2014 than from last year’s class. The survey results, compiled from responses by 161 NACE employer members, noted the 8.6 percent figure was a slight increase from 7.8 percent originally projected in the fall of 2013.
Overall, 48.4 percent of employers plan to increase hires of graduating students, while 22.2 percent project their hiring rate will remain roughly the same.
However, the number of employers looking to decrease hires this spring jumped dramatically to 29.4 percent, up from 6.1 percent as measured in the fall.
NACE compiles the Job Outlook survey each year with the intention of forecasting hiring intentions of employers as they relate to new college graduates. The survey is used by NACE members as well as others to assess the job market for new hires.
Other notable findings in the survey include:
- Nearly all employers recruit well into the spring. Less than 10 percent say they concluded their hiring in the fall of 2013.
- Of employers polled, nearly two-thirds say they are hiring for full-time and internship positions this spring.
- This spring outlook of an 8.6 percent increase is notably larger than the 2.1 percent increase reported in the Spring Update 2013.
Director, Research and Policy Analysis
- College Endowment Average Return Falls to 2.4 Percent in FY15, Endowment Spending Up Sharply
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis