Hiring Projections Offer Cautious Optimism for Class of 2014
April 30, 2014
A new survey released by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) offers a relatively optimistic forecast for the hiring of this year’s college graduates. The Job Outlook 2014 Spring Update survey shows that employers plan to hire 8.6 percent more graduates from the class of 2014 than from last year’s class. The survey results, compiled from responses by 161 NACE employer members, noted the 8.6 percent figure was a slight increase from 7.8 percent originally projected in the fall of 2013.
Overall, 48.4 percent of employers plan to increase hires of graduating students, while 22.2 percent project their hiring rate will remain roughly the same.
However, the number of employers looking to decrease hires this spring jumped dramatically to 29.4 percent, up from 6.1 percent as measured in the fall.
NACE compiles the Job Outlook survey each year with the intention of forecasting hiring intentions of employers as they relate to new college graduates. The survey is used by NACE members as well as others to assess the job market for new hires.
Other notable findings in the survey include:
- Nearly all employers recruit well into the spring. Less than 10 percent say they concluded their hiring in the fall of 2013.
- Of employers polled, nearly two-thirds say they are hiring for full-time and internship positions this spring.
- This spring outlook of an 8.6 percent increase is notably larger than the 2.1 percent increase reported in the Spring Update 2013.
Director, Research and Policy Analysis
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis