Hiring Projections Offer Cautious Optimism for Class of 2014
April 30, 2014
A new survey released by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) offers a relatively optimistic forecast for the hiring of this year’s college graduates. The Job Outlook 2014 Spring Update survey shows that employers plan to hire 8.6 percent more graduates from the class of 2014 than from last year’s class. The survey results, compiled from responses by 161 NACE employer members, noted the 8.6 percent figure was a slight increase from 7.8 percent originally projected in the fall of 2013.
Overall, 48.4 percent of employers plan to increase hires of graduating students, while 22.2 percent project their hiring rate will remain roughly the same.
However, the number of employers looking to decrease hires this spring jumped dramatically to 29.4 percent, up from 6.1 percent as measured in the fall.
NACE compiles the Job Outlook survey each year with the intention of forecasting hiring intentions of employers as they relate to new college graduates. The survey is used by NACE members as well as others to assess the job market for new hires.
Other notable findings in the survey include:
- Nearly all employers recruit well into the spring. Less than 10 percent say they concluded their hiring in the fall of 2013.
- Of employers polled, nearly two-thirds say they are hiring for full-time and internship positions this spring.
- This spring outlook of an 8.6 percent increase is notably larger than the 2.1 percent increase reported in the Spring Update 2013.
Director, Research and Policy Analysis
- IRS Grants Relief from New 1098-T Reporting Mandate
- New Overtime Rule Expected Mid-May
- 1042-S Questions Remain as Scrutiny Intensifies
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives