Enrollment in Higher Education Tops 18 Million
June 9, 2008
More than 18 million undergraduate and graduate students were enrolled in Title IV institutions in fall 2006, according to a new report released by the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics. The "First Look" report, Enrollment in Postsecondary Institutions, Fall 2006; Graduation Rates, 2000 and 2003 Cohorts; and Financial Statistics, Fiscal Year 2006, highlights data collected through the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System including enrollment, graduation rates, revenues and expenses, and student financial aid. Other major findings include:
- Texas, Michigan, New Jersey, and Alaska each report over 90 percent of students enrolled in institutions in their state are residents of the state. In contrast, institutions in the District of Columbia enroll the smallest percentage of students that are residents, at 11 percent.
- Four-year, non-profit institutions using the Financial Accounting Standards Board standards received 29 percent of their revenues from tuition and fees, on average, in fiscal year 2006, while for-profit institutions received an average of 90 percent of their revenues from tuition and fees. Four-year public institutions using the Governmental Accounting Standards Board standards reporting receiving an average of 17 percent of their fiscal year 2006 revenues from tuition and fees.
- The six year graduation rate for first-time, full-time bachelor’s degree seeking students attending four-year institutions is approximately 58 percent. This rate is higher at four-year, private non-profit institutions than at four-year public or private for-profit institutions.
- Seventy-five percent of first-time, full-time degree/certificate seeking undergraduates received financial aid in the 2005-06 academic year. Approximately 46 percent of first-time, full-time degree/certificate seeking undergraduates borrowed through a student loan program in that same year.
For other recent Department of Education reports visit the research web pages on the NACUBO website.
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives