Enrollment in Higher Education Tops 18 Million
June 9, 2008
More than 18 million undergraduate and graduate students were enrolled in Title IV institutions in fall 2006, according to a new report released by the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics. The "First Look" report, Enrollment in Postsecondary Institutions, Fall 2006; Graduation Rates, 2000 and 2003 Cohorts; and Financial Statistics, Fiscal Year 2006, highlights data collected through the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System including enrollment, graduation rates, revenues and expenses, and student financial aid. Other major findings include:
- Texas, Michigan, New Jersey, and Alaska each report over 90 percent of students enrolled in institutions in their state are residents of the state. In contrast, institutions in the District of Columbia enroll the smallest percentage of students that are residents, at 11 percent.
- Four-year, non-profit institutions using the Financial Accounting Standards Board standards received 29 percent of their revenues from tuition and fees, on average, in fiscal year 2006, while for-profit institutions received an average of 90 percent of their revenues from tuition and fees. Four-year public institutions using the Governmental Accounting Standards Board standards reporting receiving an average of 17 percent of their fiscal year 2006 revenues from tuition and fees.
- The six year graduation rate for first-time, full-time bachelor’s degree seeking students attending four-year institutions is approximately 58 percent. This rate is higher at four-year, private non-profit institutions than at four-year public or private for-profit institutions.
- Seventy-five percent of first-time, full-time degree/certificate seeking undergraduates received financial aid in the 2005-06 academic year. Approximately 46 percent of first-time, full-time degree/certificate seeking undergraduates borrowed through a student loan program in that same year.
For other recent Department of Education reports visit the research web pages on the NACUBO website.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET