Enrollment Growth and Inflation Outpace State Support of Higher Education
March 22, 2006
An inflation rate of 3.4 percent and FTE enrollment growth of 2.1 percent at public institutions were too much to overcome for a 3.5 percent increase in state and local support in FY05. The resulting 1.9 percent constant dollar decrease in state and local government support per student in FY05 is part of a larger trend since FY01, according to a new report. The FY05 version of the annual report State Higher Education Finance was released earlier this week by the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO).
While state and local support for higher education has recovered from a period of decline in recent years, inflation and net enrollment growth over time could decrease the available resources for public institutions. The report concludes that the current state tax structures cannot properly sustain existing levels of support for public services.
Additional findings from the report:
- Public institution general operating expenses in the United States during FY05 was a combined $106.1 billion.
- State support remains the largest source for public institution general operating expenses (see figure 1 from the report) at an average of 61.6 percent, or $65.3 billion.
- Net tuition revenue provided 32.1 percent of funds for operating expenses, or approximately $34.1 billion.
- Net tuition as a percentage of public higher education total revenue sources among individual states differed significantly (see figure 7 from the report), from 77 percent to 13.1 percent. The average was 36.7 percent.
- Public institution enrollment growth among individual states ranged from 30 percent to 3 percent during the four-year period of fiscal years 2001-05.
- Total educational revenues per student decreased 8.8 percent, from $10,100 to $9,212 during the four-year period of fiscal years 2001-05 using constant 2005 dollars.
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Fair Value Proposal
- IRS Again Issues 1098-T Fine Notices
- SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reform
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- WEBCAST: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis