Easing Up on Proposed IPEDS Changes
June 11, 2007
The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) released for comment a revised set of proposed changes to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) for 2007-08 through 2009-10. The set of proposed changes is significantly reduced from the one originally announced in January (reported on in a previous NACUBO e-bulletin). Most notably, the revised package does not include the proposed addition to the IPEDS Finance Survey that called for collection of data on undergraduate instruction expenses per undergraduate FTE student. In addition, the revised package does not include a proposed new section in the institutional characteristics survey on accountability, which, among other things, would have asked institutions to identify the assessment tools that they use.
The revised proposal does include a preliminary plan for implementing the proposed new categories and definitions for race and ethnicity reporting. However, there will be no changes to race/ethnicity reporting in the 2007-08 IPEDS cycle, and future changes are dependent upon the U.S. Department of Education issuing its final guidance. Additional proposed changes include requiring institutions to report current year admissions data, collect the URLs for online admission applications, and collect additional data on retention rates.
A complete list of the proposed changes can be found in the revised Clearance Package submitted to the OMB by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). Comments on the revised package can be e-mailed to ICDocketMgr@ed.gov by June 29, 2007.
Additional changes for the 2008-09 and 2009-10 reporting cycles will require a separate proposal to be submitted to the OMB. NACUBO anticipates that a future proposal will include changes to the IPEDS Finance Survey based on suggestions resulting from a Technical Review Panel held in January. More detail on the TRP activity can be found in a previous NACUBO e-bulletin and on the NCES Web site.
For further information on the proposed changes, contact Jessica Shedd, director, research and policy analysis, 202.861.2527.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis