Easing Up on Proposed IPEDS Changes
June 11, 2007
The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) released for comment a revised set of proposed changes to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) for 2007-08 through 2009-10. The set of proposed changes is significantly reduced from the one originally announced in January (reported on in a previous NACUBO e-bulletin). Most notably, the revised package does not include the proposed addition to the IPEDS Finance Survey that called for collection of data on undergraduate instruction expenses per undergraduate FTE student. In addition, the revised package does not include a proposed new section in the institutional characteristics survey on accountability, which, among other things, would have asked institutions to identify the assessment tools that they use.
The revised proposal does include a preliminary plan for implementing the proposed new categories and definitions for race and ethnicity reporting. However, there will be no changes to race/ethnicity reporting in the 2007-08 IPEDS cycle, and future changes are dependent upon the U.S. Department of Education issuing its final guidance. Additional proposed changes include requiring institutions to report current year admissions data, collect the URLs for online admission applications, and collect additional data on retention rates.
A complete list of the proposed changes can be found in the revised Clearance Package submitted to the OMB by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). Comments on the revised package can be e-mailed to ICDocketMgr@ed.gov by June 29, 2007.
Additional changes for the 2008-09 and 2009-10 reporting cycles will require a separate proposal to be submitted to the OMB. NACUBO anticipates that a future proposal will include changes to the IPEDS Finance Survey based on suggestions resulting from a Technical Review Panel held in January. More detail on the TRP activity can be found in a previous NACUBO e-bulletin and on the NCES Web site.
For further information on the proposed changes, contact Jessica Shedd, director, research and policy analysis, 202.861.2527.
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis