Delta Cost Project Explores Athletic Spending
January 24, 2013
Using data from the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) reports compiled by USA Today, and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) database, the Delta Cost Project's brief features charts and tables on academic and athletic spending by type of Division I schools and Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference; distribution of athletic expenditures; source of athletic budget revenues; and ratio of athletic program generated revenue to athletic subsidy.
One key finding of the report is that the average institution in the Football Bowl Subdivision category spent three to six times as much per athlete than they did on academic spending per student in 2010. The report also makes the case that between 2005 and 2010, despite substantial budgets for the athletic department, on average Division-I institutions increased the athletic budget at a steeper rate than that of tuition and fee increases.
In 2010, nearly 35 percent of the athletics budget at Division I schools was spent on compensation, 20 percent on facilities and equipment, and 14 percent on scholarships and grants to student athletes. Great variance in the sources of revenue in 2010 and its proportion to institutional subsidies for athletic programs was found between institutions in the FBS, Football Championship Subdivision, and Division I schools without a football program.
Nonfinancial benefits of athletic programs are also discussed.
The report is available at the Delta Cost Project web site.
Natalie Pullaro Davis
Manager, Research and Policy Analysis
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Fair Value Proposal
- IRS Again Issues 1098-T Fine Notices
- SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reform
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- WEBCAST: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis