Delta Cost Project Explores Athletic Spending
January 24, 2013
Using data from the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) reports compiled by USA Today, and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) database, the Delta Cost Project's brief features charts and tables on academic and athletic spending by type of Division I schools and Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference; distribution of athletic expenditures; source of athletic budget revenues; and ratio of athletic program generated revenue to athletic subsidy.
One key finding of the report is that the average institution in the Football Bowl Subdivision category spent three to six times as much per athlete than they did on academic spending per student in 2010. The report also makes the case that between 2005 and 2010, despite substantial budgets for the athletic department, on average Division-I institutions increased the athletic budget at a steeper rate than that of tuition and fee increases.
In 2010, nearly 35 percent of the athletics budget at Division I schools was spent on compensation, 20 percent on facilities and equipment, and 14 percent on scholarships and grants to student athletes. Great variance in the sources of revenue in 2010 and its proportion to institutional subsidies for athletic programs was found between institutions in the FBS, Football Championship Subdivision, and Division I schools without a football program.
Nonfinancial benefits of athletic programs are also discussed.
The report is available at the Delta Cost Project web site.
Natalie Pullaro Davis
Manager, Research and Policy Analysis
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis