Contributions to Higher Education Up 3.4% in 2004
March 11, 2005
Contributions to U.S. colleges and universities increased 3.4 percent in 2004, according to the annual Voluntary Support of Education survey released by the Council for Aid to Education at the RAND Corporation. After adjusting for inflation, the increase amounted to 0.7 percent.
Almost half of the $24.4 billion raised in 2004 came directly from individuals, representing a 9.7 percent increase from the previous year. While alumni giving—the traditional base of higher education giving—increased only 2 percent, gifts from individuals other than alumni shot up by 21.5 percent.
Given that alumni giving represents between a quarter to a third of all voluntary support and the spike in giving by nonalumni individuals, the current survey reinforces the importance of individual giving. Reflecting modest improvements in the capital markets, personal giving increased and corporate giving experienced a 3.5 percent increase.
Unlike alumni giving, foundation support--which typically accounted for an equally large percentage of voluntary support--declined by 6.1 percent. At 27.5 percent, alumni giving accounted for $6.7 billion, while foundation giving dropped to $6.2 billion (25.4 percent).
Experiencing a 5.4 percent increase, giving for current operations has enjoyed an annual increase for the past three decades. Capital gifts increased a slight 1 percent, reversing the declines experienced in 2002 and 2003.
Survey participants number 971 institutions, representing an estimated 85 percent of all voluntary support in higher education.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET