Containing Costs at State Colleges and Universities
April 14, 2008
More than 80 percent of the 114 American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) member colleges who responded to a recent AASCU and SunGard Higher Education survey reported that cost containment at their institutions was "very" or "extremely" important. In addition, more than three-quarters report being "very" or "adequately" satisfied with their institution’s cost containment activities. However, despite institutions placing high importance on the issue of cost containment, only a small number (12 percent) actually set aside resources (funding, staff, and time) to a "significant" extent to identify and implement cost containment measures, and 62 percent do not regularly report their cost containment savings.
Oversight for cost containment activities for almost 40 percent of institutions is centralized in the business office, with institutions most often relying on the areas of facilities and infrastructure, business services/processes, and academic programming to contain costs. For example, 83 percent rely on energy management to reduce operating costs and more than 60 percent have looked to consortium purchasing for cost reductions.
The full report, Cost Containment: A Survey of Current Practices at America’s State College and Universities can be downloaded for free from AASCU's website, and provides further details on cost savings and recommendations for institutions.
- FASB Proposes Changes to Investment Disclosures
- Retiring Harkin Introduces Higher Education Bill
- GASB Releases Preliminary Views on Fiduciary Activities
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis