Containing Costs at State Colleges and Universities
April 14, 2008
More than 80 percent of the 114 American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) member colleges who responded to a recent AASCU and SunGard Higher Education survey reported that cost containment at their institutions was "very" or "extremely" important. In addition, more than three-quarters report being "very" or "adequately" satisfied with their institution’s cost containment activities. However, despite institutions placing high importance on the issue of cost containment, only a small number (12 percent) actually set aside resources (funding, staff, and time) to a "significant" extent to identify and implement cost containment measures, and 62 percent do not regularly report their cost containment savings.
Oversight for cost containment activities for almost 40 percent of institutions is centralized in the business office, with institutions most often relying on the areas of facilities and infrastructure, business services/processes, and academic programming to contain costs. For example, 83 percent rely on energy management to reduce operating costs and more than 60 percent have looked to consortium purchasing for cost reductions.
The full report, Cost Containment: A Survey of Current Practices at America’s State College and Universities can be downloaded for free from AASCU's website, and provides further details on cost savings and recommendations for institutions.
- ED Launches New College Scorecard
- NACUBO Members Convey Legislative Priorities on Capitol Hill
- Panelists Detail Complex Campus Sexual Assault Regulations at Hearing
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis