Containing Costs at State Colleges and Universities
April 14, 2008
More than 80 percent of the 114 American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) member colleges who responded to a recent AASCU and SunGard Higher Education survey reported that cost containment at their institutions was "very" or "extremely" important. In addition, more than three-quarters report being "very" or "adequately" satisfied with their institution’s cost containment activities. However, despite institutions placing high importance on the issue of cost containment, only a small number (12 percent) actually set aside resources (funding, staff, and time) to a "significant" extent to identify and implement cost containment measures, and 62 percent do not regularly report their cost containment savings.
Oversight for cost containment activities for almost 40 percent of institutions is centralized in the business office, with institutions most often relying on the areas of facilities and infrastructure, business services/processes, and academic programming to contain costs. For example, 83 percent rely on energy management to reduce operating costs and more than 60 percent have looked to consortium purchasing for cost reductions.
The full report, Cost Containment: A Survey of Current Practices at America’s State College and Universities can be downloaded for free from AASCU's website, and provides further details on cost savings and recommendations for institutions.
- NACUBO Expresses Concerns with ED Proposal to Expand Federal Financial Responsibility Rules
- IRS Proposes Modifications to 1098-T Reporting
- ED Policy to Require Annual Student Aid Compliance Audits Beginning FY17
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Big Opportunities for Small Institutions
September 20-21, 2016
- 2016 Tax Forum
September 25-27, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives