Average Starting Salaries for New College Graduates Falls 1.3 Percent
July 22, 2010
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)'s "Salary Survey" is a quarterly report of starting salary offers to new bachelor's degree recipients in 70 disciplines. Within these disciplines, the recent salary trends varied. English majors saw their average offer rise 7.1 percent, while offers to history and psychology graduates dropped 2.1 percent and 5.6 percent, respectively. Overall, liberal arts graduates saw their average offer fall 3.9 percent to $34,747.
Engineering majors also experienced a decline in their starting salaries-on average, these new bachelor's degree recipients were offered $58,970-a 0.5 percent decrease from summer 2009. Computer engineering graduates saw the biggest decrease within this group; their average offer fell 2.9 percent, to $59,917. Electrical engineering graduates' average salary offer dropped 1.2 percent, to $59,381, and the average offer to mechanical engineering graduates declined less than 1 percent, to $58,457. Chemical engineering graduates, conversely, enjoyed a 1.1 percent increase, to $65,628.NACE will publish the final report on salary offers to the class of 2010 in September. Additional information about the "Salary Survey" series is available from the NACE Web site.
Director, Research and Policy Analysis
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET