Small Institutions Roundtable Discussions - Session 2
May 11, 2009 (4:00 pm) - The NACUBO Small Institutions Council hosted a roundtable discussion for chief business officers from similar institutions. Julee K. Sherman, vice president for finance and administration at Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO, facilitated the discussion. The following topics were discussed:
- New requirements for the Form 5500 - Parente Randolph was mentioned as having this expertise.
- UPMIFA Resources. See Status in the States at page bottom for state-specific information.
- While a comprehensive source of funding for private institutions by state might not exist, more information might be found through the education department within your state, or see the Department of Commerce State Services site.
- Utilities savings - geothermal energy for new buildings (some with assistance from the state). It seems common to have no backup system. Cost savings are apparent; some have seen payback in less than 5 years. [Geothermal energy information is accessible on the AASHE web site. Each issue of the AASHE Bulletin has an "energy" section to report what schools are doing. Archives for the year are available. Examples can also be found in their Annual Digest (www.aashe.org, search on geothermal).]
- For some, endowment spending rates still are hovering near 4.5-5.5%.
- Tuition increases in place for AY2009-10 hover near 4-6%. Budgeting for increased student financial aid expenses is a trend.
- Salary increases are being considered at 3% at some institutions. Cost reductions include hiring freezes, decreasing retirement contributions, cutting capital expenditure budgets by 10-50%. Marist is moving forward with constructing its technology center. Holy Cross is finishing one building but postponing the completion of two others.
- Outsourcing of the bookstore and payroll functions has been met with success.
- Form 990 - most are working through the board audit committee only, not the full board, to finalize the form before filing.
- Yellow Ribbon program - some institutions are participating although they don't expect a huge demand. The deadline for participating has been extended to June 15, 2009.
- Federal Court Postpones Effective Date of Overtime Rule
- 1098-T Box 1 Reporting Will Not be Required Until 2018 Tax Year
- EPA Issues Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule
- 2017 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 23-24, 2017
- 2017 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 1-3, 2017
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives