Small Institutions Roundtable Discussions - Session 2
May 11, 2009 (4:00 pm) - The NACUBO Small Institutions Council hosted a roundtable discussion for chief business officers from similar institutions. Julee K. Sherman, vice president for finance and administration at Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO, facilitated the discussion. The following topics were discussed:
- New requirements for the Form 5500 - Parente Randolph was mentioned as having this expertise.
- UPMIFA Resources. See Status in the States at page bottom for state-specific information.
- While a comprehensive source of funding for private institutions by state might not exist, more information might be found through the education department within your state, or see the Department of Commerce State Services site.
- Utilities savings - geothermal energy for new buildings (some with assistance from the state). It seems common to have no backup system. Cost savings are apparent; some have seen payback in less than 5 years. [Geothermal energy information is accessible on the AASHE web site. Each issue of the AASHE Bulletin has an "energy" section to report what schools are doing. Archives for the year are available. Examples can also be found in their Annual Digest (www.aashe.org, search on geothermal).]
- For some, endowment spending rates still are hovering near 4.5-5.5%.
- Tuition increases in place for AY2009-10 hover near 4-6%. Budgeting for increased student financial aid expenses is a trend.
- Salary increases are being considered at 3% at some institutions. Cost reductions include hiring freezes, decreasing retirement contributions, cutting capital expenditure budgets by 10-50%. Marist is moving forward with constructing its technology center. Holy Cross is finishing one building but postponing the completion of two others.
- Outsourcing of the bookstore and payroll functions has been met with success.
- Form 990 - most are working through the board audit committee only, not the full board, to finalize the form before filing.
- Yellow Ribbon program - some institutions are participating although they don't expect a huge demand. The deadline for participating has been extended to June 15, 2009.
- ED Tightens New "Gainful Employment" Rules
- GASB Studies Irrevocable Charitable Trusts
- ED Negotiations Focus on Cash Management
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis