Small Institutions Roundtable Discussions - Session 1
May 11, 2009 (3:00 pm)The NACUBO Small Institutions Council hosted a roundtable discussion for chief business officers from similar institutions. Julee K. Sherman, vice president for finance and administration at Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO, facilitated the discussion. The following topics were discussed:
- New requirements for the Form 5500 - Grant Thornton was mentioned for their knowledge about 403(b) plans. The TIAA-CREF website has resources for those just beginning to examine this issue.
- IRS Form 990 - at some institutions, the board audit committee is taking responsibility for reviewing the form before the CFO files it. Not having in place a conflict of interest policy, whistleblower policy, etc., could trigger some IRS interest in the campus.
- Sample records retention policy is available.
- Emergency preparedness - a flip chart of To Dos for posting around Mount Ida College will be shared in the Administrative Procedures for Small Institutions Manual online (coming soon).
- Utility savings are being found via newer, efficient boilers, biodiesel fuel, and new power plants. New equipment is more energy efficient, overall. Low flow toilets are saving water.
- Organization charts - it's common for Student Services to oversee campus security when Finance/Administration does not.
- Internal audit function can be effectively outsourced if expertise/capacity is not available on staff.
- Economic stimulus funding is not flowing to independent institutions. But state departments of commerce might have funds for weatherizing buildings. This varies by state, so check the Department of Commerce State Services site.
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis