NACUBO offers relevant and timely programming, publications, and other resources specific to business officers and staff at small colleges, universities, and independent schools. Over 1,000 NACUBO member institutions fall into this category for entities with 4,000 or less full-time equivalent enrollment.
2012 Tuition Discounting StudY now available
The 2012 Tuition Discounting Study shows a drop in enrollment, a large jump in the discount rate, and falling net tuition revenue for 2011 at private, nonprofit colleges and universities.
Leading large IT projects the small-college way
Download this free hour-long EDUCAUSE Live! presentation to explore the unique IT challenges and opportunities facing small institutions.
NACUBO 2013 Annual meeting
From July 13-16, 2013, the following annual meeting sessions, among others, are planned especially for business officers at small institutions:
- Roundtable for Small Institution Chief Business Officers(B. Roberts, Alcorn State University)
- Health Care Reform: Strategies for Compliance(P. Dunleavy, Marywood University, H. Ives, Wells Fargo Insurance Services USA, J. Napier-Joyce, Jackson Lewis LLP)
- Benchmarking Expenditures for Efficiency and Effectiveness (B. Powell, Ouachita Baptist University)
Advance registration rates are in effect until June 21, 2013.
Author Michael J. Lochhead offers colleagues a case study exploring decisions regarding resource allocation, strategic planning and leadership in The Faith-Based Institution: A Case Study.
Dr. Thomas R. Kepple Jr. examines the opportunities and challenges the CFO at a small institution might face in The Small Private College. Readers will gain a sneak peak at the relationships and critical focus areas that are not traditionally part of the CFO's position at a larger institution.
- FASB Clarifies Fair Value Disclosure for Nonpublic Entities
(January 10, 2013)
- FASB Issues ASU on Treatment of Donated Securities
(November 1, 2012)
- NACUBO Issues Guidance on Credit Quality Disclosures
(August 25, 2011)
- ED Conference Videos Available
(January 3, 2011)
- STARS Launch
(September 23, 2009)
- NACUBO Urges Review of Financial Responsibility Standards
(July 14, 2009)
- FASB Initiates Fair Value Measurement and Disclosure Project
(February 26, 2009)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Vantage Point
- Strategic Capital Funding on a Smaller Scale
- Crafting a Career Curriculum
- Bottom-Drawer Security
- Vantage Point
- Vantage Point
- Self-Service Budgeting
- Renewables to Spare
- Student Financial Services Online Conference
(March 20, 2013)
- OD: Tuition Discounting in An Era of Austerity
(April 12, 2011)
- OD: Helping Small Colleges to Weather Turbulent Times
(March 30, 2010)
- OD: HR Strategies for a Difficult Economy
(April 28, 2009)
- OD: A Chief Business Officer's Guide to Presidential Transitions
(November 6, 2008)
- OD: Fall Check-up on Campus Safety for Small Institutions
(October 2, 2008)
- Small Institutions accounting resources
- To access Administrative Procedures for Small Institutions:
- For NACUBO members only, click on “My NACUBO” in the top right-hand corner.
- Login using your email address and password. Click on “forgot my password” to reset your password.
- From the “My NACUBO” page, go to the “Online Subscriptions/Downloads” section and click on “NACUBO Online Publications.”
- In the left navigation pane, click to open Administrative Procedures for Small Institutions. If the manual does not appear in the pane, contact Customer Support online or call 800.462.4916 to receive the free link.
The Small Institutions Council periodically hosts roundtable teleconferences for chief business officers from similar institutions. The discussionson January 13, February 16 and March 17, 2010, covered a wide variety of topics.
On May 11, 2009, the NACUBO Small Institutions Council hosted two roundtable discussions:
Small Institutions Council
A volunteer council of your peers advises NACUBO staff on the development of many products and services you'll find here. Members are welcome to contact any council member or Maryann Terrana (NACUBO staff liaison) with questions or suggestions.
Director, Constituent Programs
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis