Tax Extenders Included in Financial Bailout; Cell Phones Not Addressed
October 9, 2008
Last month’s financial bailout legislation included tax provisions worth more than $150 billion. The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (H.R. 1424), signed by President Bush on October 3, provides a one-year patch of the alternative minimum tax and $17 billion in tax incentives for investments in renewable energy. Of special interest to colleges and universities, H.R. 1424 also extends the following tax provisions for two years, through December 31, 2009:
- IRA Rollovers. The Pension Protection Act of 2006 (PPA) created a provision allowing taxpayers to make tax-free contributions from their IRA plans to qualified charitable organizations. The proposal is effective for distributions after December 31, 2007.
- Qualified Tuition Deduction. The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act (EGTRRA) created an above-the-line tax deduction for qualified higher education expenses. The maximum deduction is $4,000 for taxpayers with AGI of $65,000 or less ($130,000 for joint returns) or $2,000 for taxpayers with AGI of $80,000 or less ($160,000 for joint returns).
Although colleges and universities had hoped that the tax provisions would also simplify the treatment of employer-provided cell phones, the new law did not address the issue. NACUBO will continue to push for legislative action on this issue in the next Congress.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis