Tax Extenders Included in Financial Bailout; Cell Phones Not Addressed
October 9, 2008
Last month’s financial bailout legislation included tax provisions worth more than $150 billion. The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (H.R. 1424), signed by President Bush on October 3, provides a one-year patch of the alternative minimum tax and $17 billion in tax incentives for investments in renewable energy. Of special interest to colleges and universities, H.R. 1424 also extends the following tax provisions for two years, through December 31, 2009:
- IRA Rollovers. The Pension Protection Act of 2006 (PPA) created a provision allowing taxpayers to make tax-free contributions from their IRA plans to qualified charitable organizations. The proposal is effective for distributions after December 31, 2007.
- Qualified Tuition Deduction. The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act (EGTRRA) created an above-the-line tax deduction for qualified higher education expenses. The maximum deduction is $4,000 for taxpayers with AGI of $65,000 or less ($130,000 for joint returns) or $2,000 for taxpayers with AGI of $80,000 or less ($160,000 for joint returns).
Although colleges and universities had hoped that the tax provisions would also simplify the treatment of employer-provided cell phones, the new law did not address the issue. NACUBO will continue to push for legislative action on this issue in the next Congress.
- Affordable Care Act: Final Rules on Coverage for Adjuncts and Students
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis