Yellow Ribbon Program Agreements Due to VA by May 15
April 20, 2012
Institutions wishing to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program for the 2012-13 academic year must submit signed agreements to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) no later than May 15. The program, part of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, allows the VA to match institutional contributions to cover the gap when tuition and fees for academic programs exceed the maximum veteran benefit.
As amended in 2011, the Post-9/11 GI Bill sets a nationwide cap of $17,500 for tuition and fees benefits for veterans attending independent and foreign institutions. At public institutions, benefits cover in-state tuition and fees. Public institutions may still wish to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, as some states allow all veterans to pay in-state rates but many others do not.
For the first time, this year accepted Yellow Ribbon agreements will be considered open-ended and will remain in effect "for the upcoming academic year and all future academic years unless VA or the institution notifies the other party that changes are requested." The VA plans to conduct an "open season" from March 15 to May 15 each year during which new or revised agreements may be submitted.
The VA's Yellow Ribbon Program website contains the agreement document, a checklist, and a helpful FAQ document.
- Affordable Care Act: Final Rules on Coverage for Adjuncts and Students
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis