Yellow Ribbon Program Agreements Due to VA by May 15
April 20, 2012
Institutions wishing to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program for the 2012-13 academic year must submit signed agreements to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) no later than May 15. The program, part of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, allows the VA to match institutional contributions to cover the gap when tuition and fees for academic programs exceed the maximum veteran benefit.
As amended in 2011, the Post-9/11 GI Bill sets a nationwide cap of $17,500 for tuition and fees benefits for veterans attending independent and foreign institutions. At public institutions, benefits cover in-state tuition and fees. Public institutions may still wish to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, as some states allow all veterans to pay in-state rates but many others do not.
For the first time, this year accepted Yellow Ribbon agreements will be considered open-ended and will remain in effect "for the upcoming academic year and all future academic years unless VA or the institution notifies the other party that changes are requested." The VA plans to conduct an "open season" from March 15 to May 15 each year during which new or revised agreements may be submitted.
The VA's Yellow Ribbon Program website contains the agreement document, a checklist, and a helpful FAQ document.
Senior Policy Analyst
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET