VA to Release Updated State Maximums for Post-9/11 GI Bill
July 28, 2009
On August 1, the Department of Veteran Affairs is scheduled to release tuition and fee state maximums for the 2009-10 year. These figures are used to establish how much the VA will pay institutions for eligible veterans.
The VA had asked its network of state approving agencies (SAAs) to examine charges at public institutions and determine the most expensive per-credit-hour tuition amounts, and the most expensive per-term fees. Some of these amounts for the 2009-10 year are already available on the VA's website, but the complete list will be released on August 1. For some states, there is a significant difference between the amount currently listed versus the amount posted in April when institutions were considering participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program. For example, in Oregon the maximum total fees per term decreased by $20,638, while in North Dakota the maximum total fees per term increased by $19,165. Tuition per credit hour has also gone both up and down: in Georgia, it more than doubled from $203 to $433, while Utah's maximum went from $489 to $209. Institutions are encouraged to review the complete list from the VA when it is posted on August 1.
In the spring, NACUBO developed a tool to calculate an estimated maximum per-term payment for veterans attending institutions in each state. This tool will be updated with the new figures from the VA by August 5.. The institutions will need to input an estimate of their total tuition (per term), fees (per term), and assumed number of credit hours taken. NACUBO provides this tool to assist members in making estimates, but users should not rely on the tool alone and should not use it to calculate an individual student's VA education benefit.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis