VA Releases New State Maximums for Post-9/11 GI Bill
September 9, 2010
The Department of Veteran Affairs has released new tuition and fee state maximums for the 2010-11 year. These figures are used to establish how much the VA will pay institutions for eligible veterans.
The VA had asked its network of state approving agencies to examine charges at public institutions and determine the most expensive per-credit-hour tuition amounts, and the most expensive per-term fees. For some states, there is a significant difference between the amount currently listed versus the amount recorded for last fiscal year. For example, in Kansas the maximum total fees per term increased by $46,948.96 , while in Florida the maximum total fees per term decreased by $18,340 . In Minnesota, the amount charged per credit hour decreased by $300 to $450, while South Carolina's maximum went from $484 to $829, an increase of $345. Institutions are encouraged to review the complete list from the VA website.
Last year, NACUBO developed a tool to calculate an estimated maximum per-term payment for veterans attending institutions in each state. This tool has been updated to reflect the new figures from the VA. Institutions can input an estimate of their total tuition (per term), fees (per term), and assumed number of credit hours taken. NACUBO provides this tool to assist members in making estimates, but users should not rely on the tool alone and should not use it to calculate an individual student's VA education benefit.
- ED Tightens New "Gainful Employment" Rules
- GASB Studies Irrevocable Charitable Trusts
- ED Negotiations Focus on Cash Management
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis