VA Releases New State Maximums for Post-9/11 GI Bill
September 9, 2010
The Department of Veteran Affairs has released new tuition and fee state maximums for the 2010-11 year. These figures are used to establish how much the VA will pay institutions for eligible veterans.
The VA had asked its network of state approving agencies to examine charges at public institutions and determine the most expensive per-credit-hour tuition amounts, and the most expensive per-term fees. For some states, there is a significant difference between the amount currently listed versus the amount recorded for last fiscal year. For example, in Kansas the maximum total fees per term increased by $46,948.96 , while in Florida the maximum total fees per term decreased by $18,340 . In Minnesota, the amount charged per credit hour decreased by $300 to $450, while South Carolina's maximum went from $484 to $829, an increase of $345. Institutions are encouraged to review the complete list from the VA website.
Last year, NACUBO developed a tool to calculate an estimated maximum per-term payment for veterans attending institutions in each state. This tool has been updated to reflect the new figures from the VA. Institutions can input an estimate of their total tuition (per term), fees (per term), and assumed number of credit hours taken. NACUBO provides this tool to assist members in making estimates, but users should not rely on the tool alone and should not use it to calculate an individual student's VA education benefit.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis