VA Releases New State Maximums for Post-9/11 GI Bill
September 9, 2010
The Department of Veteran Affairs has released new tuition and fee state maximums for the 2010-11 year. These figures are used to establish how much the VA will pay institutions for eligible veterans.
The VA had asked its network of state approving agencies to examine charges at public institutions and determine the most expensive per-credit-hour tuition amounts, and the most expensive per-term fees. For some states, there is a significant difference between the amount currently listed versus the amount recorded for last fiscal year. For example, in Kansas the maximum total fees per term increased by $46,948.96 , while in Florida the maximum total fees per term decreased by $18,340 . In Minnesota, the amount charged per credit hour decreased by $300 to $450, while South Carolina's maximum went from $484 to $829, an increase of $345. Institutions are encouraged to review the complete list from the VA website.
Last year, NACUBO developed a tool to calculate an estimated maximum per-term payment for veterans attending institutions in each state. This tool has been updated to reflect the new figures from the VA. Institutions can input an estimate of their total tuition (per term), fees (per term), and assumed number of credit hours taken. NACUBO provides this tool to assist members in making estimates, but users should not rely on the tool alone and should not use it to calculate an individual student's VA education benefit.
- ED Releases College Ratings System Framework
- Recap: Top 10 Federal Policy Changes in 2014
- Obama Proposes Free Community College
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis