VA Consolidates Procedures for Processing Return Payments
January 3, 2012
In response to concerns raised by NACUBO and other stakeholders, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is simplifying the process of returning Post-9/11 GI Bill payments. Beginning January 1, institutions are required to submit return payments to the VA's Debt Management Center (DMC) in Minnesota. At the same time, the Regional Processing Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma will take on all responsibility for applying amounts returned to the correct accounts. Previously, institutions returned payments to their Regional Processing Office and many experienced repeated problems with inaccurate and slow processing of payments.
In a December 28 letter, the VA explained that under the previous method, institutions often had to contact multiple VA offices before finding correct information regarding returned payments. The hope is that by consolidating all returned payments to one office, those returns will be processed more quickly and accurately.
The letter describes how an institution should submit return payments through various channels. Regardless of the method of return, institutions should not submit a return until after receiving a collection letter from DMC. Institutions should then include the information contained in the letter, either by entering it into the PayVA system for online payments, or by including the tear-off payment stub for returns submitted through the mail.
Several years ago, NACUBO convened a workgroup consisting of bursars, student financial services directors, and campus VA certifying officials that has met regularly with VA staff to discuss issues with implementation of the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Act. Additionally, NACUBO has created a VA Processes eGroup, similar to a listserv, for members to share questions, issues, concerns, and success stories related to administering VA programs.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis