State Support for Higher Education Increases in FY05
December 15, 2004
In a reversal from last year, overall appropriations for higher education increased for the 2005 fiscal year, according to an annual study conducted by the Center for the Study of Education Policy at Illinois State University. State budgets for the current fiscal year show that total appropriations increased by 3.8 percent from FY04, to a total of $63 billion.
Though this year’s increase in state support is good news for higher education, it must be viewed within the context of the steady annual decline of state funding for colleges and universities over the past several years. In many cases, this year's increases are not enough to make up for the several previous years’ cuts, and therefore budgets still remain lower than they were just two years ago. James C. Palmer of Illinois State University, who conducted the survey, cautioned that while institutions’ costs for maintaining facilities and providing health benefits to employees continue to rise, states’ costs are increasing as well, which could mean the amount of new revenue appropriated to support higher education in the near future is unlikely to reach the levels of increases seen in the 2000 and 2001 fiscal years.
More information and data tables are available on the Illinois State University Web site.
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis