State Support for Higher Education Increases in FY05
December 15, 2004
In a reversal from last year, overall appropriations for higher education increased for the 2005 fiscal year, according to an annual study conducted by the Center for the Study of Education Policy at Illinois State University. State budgets for the current fiscal year show that total appropriations increased by 3.8 percent from FY04, to a total of $63 billion.
Though this year’s increase in state support is good news for higher education, it must be viewed within the context of the steady annual decline of state funding for colleges and universities over the past several years. In many cases, this year's increases are not enough to make up for the several previous years’ cuts, and therefore budgets still remain lower than they were just two years ago. James C. Palmer of Illinois State University, who conducted the survey, cautioned that while institutions’ costs for maintaining facilities and providing health benefits to employees continue to rise, states’ costs are increasing as well, which could mean the amount of new revenue appropriated to support higher education in the near future is unlikely to reach the levels of increases seen in the 2000 and 2001 fiscal years.
More information and data tables are available on the Illinois State University Web site.
- Affordable Care Act: Final Rules on Coverage for Adjuncts and Students
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis