State Appropriations Up in 2006
January 20, 2006
State spending for higher education had its biggest jump since 2001, according to the annual study conducted by the Center for the Study of Education Policy at Illinois State University. Total general-fund appropriations for the 2005-06 fiscal year rose by 6 percent to $66.6 billion from the previous year. This comes as a relief to colleges around the country that have suffered in recent years from numbers as dramatic as a 2.1 percent decrease in appropriations during FY03-04.
Hawaii had the highest increase in state spending--20.1 percent for the current fiscal year--followed by Alabama and Montana with increases of 14.9 percent and 13.2 percent, respectively. For the second year in a row, West Virginia suffered the greatest loss in state spending (-6.0 percent). Despite this lack of general-fund support, financial aid, which primarily comes from lottery and video-poker revenues in West Virginia, increased more than 22 percent over the previous year. Illinois had the second greatest drop in state spending (-2.6 percent), followed by Mississippi (-0.9 percent).
State spending specifically for community colleges grew 6.8 percent for the year. However, this figure was skewed by the 12.4 percent increase in appropriations for California community colleges. Excluding California, the average increase in state budgets drops to 5 percent for two-year colleges.
Detailed data tables are available on the Grapevine Web site.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis