State Appropriations Up in 2006
January 20, 2006
State spending for higher education had its biggest jump since 2001, according to the annual study conducted by the Center for the Study of Education Policy at Illinois State University. Total general-fund appropriations for the 2005-06 fiscal year rose by 6 percent to $66.6 billion from the previous year. This comes as a relief to colleges around the country that have suffered in recent years from numbers as dramatic as a 2.1 percent decrease in appropriations during FY03-04.
Hawaii had the highest increase in state spending--20.1 percent for the current fiscal year--followed by Alabama and Montana with increases of 14.9 percent and 13.2 percent, respectively. For the second year in a row, West Virginia suffered the greatest loss in state spending (-6.0 percent). Despite this lack of general-fund support, financial aid, which primarily comes from lottery and video-poker revenues in West Virginia, increased more than 22 percent over the previous year. Illinois had the second greatest drop in state spending (-2.6 percent), followed by Mississippi (-0.9 percent).
State spending specifically for community colleges grew 6.8 percent for the year. However, this figure was skewed by the 12.4 percent increase in appropriations for California community colleges. Excluding California, the average increase in state budgets drops to 5 percent for two-year colleges.
Detailed data tables are available on the Grapevine Web site.
- NACUBO and FASB Discuss Grant Revenue Recognition
- ED Proposes Auditing Safeguards Rule Compliance
- NACUBO and ACE to Negotiate Rates for Use of Music on Campus
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 7-9, 2017
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis in Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections and Clarifications
Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Results of the 2016 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
- ON-DEMAND: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO