State Appropriations Up in 2006
January 20, 2006
State spending for higher education had its biggest jump since 2001, according to the annual study conducted by the Center for the Study of Education Policy at Illinois State University. Total general-fund appropriations for the 2005-06 fiscal year rose by 6 percent to $66.6 billion from the previous year. This comes as a relief to colleges around the country that have suffered in recent years from numbers as dramatic as a 2.1 percent decrease in appropriations during FY03-04.
Hawaii had the highest increase in state spending--20.1 percent for the current fiscal year--followed by Alabama and Montana with increases of 14.9 percent and 13.2 percent, respectively. For the second year in a row, West Virginia suffered the greatest loss in state spending (-6.0 percent). Despite this lack of general-fund support, financial aid, which primarily comes from lottery and video-poker revenues in West Virginia, increased more than 22 percent over the previous year. Illinois had the second greatest drop in state spending (-2.6 percent), followed by Mississippi (-0.9 percent).
State spending specifically for community colleges grew 6.8 percent for the year. However, this figure was skewed by the 12.4 percent increase in appropriations for California community colleges. Excluding California, the average increase in state budgets drops to 5 percent for two-year colleges.
Detailed data tables are available on the Grapevine Web site.
- College Endowment Average Return Falls to 2.4 Percent in FY15, Endowment Spending Up Sharply
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Student Financial Services
March 13-15, 2016
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis