Reminder: Report Foreign Gifts and Contracts to ED
June 1, 2005
Colleges and universities that participate in the Title IV federal student aid programs must file reports on January 31 and July 31 disclosing foreign gifts, contracts with foreign sources, and ownership or control by foreign entities, subject to certain reporting thresholds. This is not a new homeland security requirement; it was required by law as part of the 1992 reauthorization of the Higher Education Act. The Department of Education (ED) updated its system for collecting these reports online last year using its electronic application process (eAPP).
Institutions need to file a report if the total of all gifts from and contracts with a foreign source exceeds $250,000 in any calendar year. The report needs to provide
- the aggregate amount of gifts and contracts with a foreign government, by country;
- the aggregate amount of gifts and contracts with a foreign source other than a government, by country;
- for restricted or conditional gifts or contracts, additional information including a description of the conditions.
An institution that is owned or controlled by a foreign source needs to report initially and then file a new report if there are any substantive changes to its ownership status, program, or structure.
The reports are due no later than January 31 or July 31, whichever is sooner, after the threshold is met. Note that while the report is filed electronically, the signature page must be printed, signed, and mailed to the appropriate ED Case Management Team. An October 2004 Dear Colleague letter, GEN-04-11, provides specific instructions and answers to frequently asked questions. The orginial requirements were laid out in GEN-95-12, released in February 1995.
- ED Proposes Substantial Expansion of Financial Responsibility Indicators
- Supreme Court Hands Down Two Decisions with Higher Education Implications
- NACUBO Objects to Annual SFA Audits
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives