Reminder: Report Foreign Gifts and Contracts to ED
June 1, 2005
Colleges and universities that participate in the Title IV federal student aid programs must file reports on January 31 and July 31 disclosing foreign gifts, contracts with foreign sources, and ownership or control by foreign entities, subject to certain reporting thresholds. This is not a new homeland security requirement; it was required by law as part of the 1992 reauthorization of the Higher Education Act. The Department of Education (ED) updated its system for collecting these reports online last year using its electronic application process (eAPP).
Institutions need to file a report if the total of all gifts from and contracts with a foreign source exceeds $250,000 in any calendar year. The report needs to provide
- the aggregate amount of gifts and contracts with a foreign government, by country;
- the aggregate amount of gifts and contracts with a foreign source other than a government, by country;
- for restricted or conditional gifts or contracts, additional information including a description of the conditions.
An institution that is owned or controlled by a foreign source needs to report initially and then file a new report if there are any substantive changes to its ownership status, program, or structure.
The reports are due no later than January 31 or July 31, whichever is sooner, after the threshold is met. Note that while the report is filed electronically, the signature page must be printed, signed, and mailed to the appropriate ED Case Management Team. An October 2004 Dear Colleague letter, GEN-04-11, provides specific instructions and answers to frequently asked questions. The orginial requirements were laid out in GEN-95-12, released in February 1995.
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis