NACUBO and ACE Release Question and Answer Document on DOD's Tuition Assistance MOU
July 1, 2014
UPDATE (7/10/14): On July 7, DOD made an edit to its May 2014 MOU. Now titled "Change 3," the edit adds a paragraph heading at 4.f.2, "Educational institutions will comply with these requirements for the return of TA funds." Even though this additional text does not change the content or intent of the MOU, DOD is giving institutions until 11:59 p.m. EDT September 5 to sign the new version.
Institutions that have already signed the May 2014 MOU do not need to sign this new version; however, they are required to sign a certification statement acknowledging they are aware of the change. Certification statements are also due to DOD by 11:59 p.m. EDT September 5.
Additionally, the FAQs on the MOU Web site have been updated.
Original News Item:
Last month, NACUBO summarized the main elements and requirements of Department of Defense's Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for its Tuition Assistance program. Now, to help institutions make sense of some of the more confusing components, NACUBO and the American Council on Education have published an MOU Q&A document. The Q&A focuses on the requirements that are not in the 2012 MOU and highlights selected notable differences between the 2012 and 2014 versions.
Institutions may also find the FAQ pages on the MOU Web site helpful. Those pages were last updated on June 19.
DOD published final rules in the Federal Register that included the newest version of the agency's MOU. Colleges and universities are required to sign the MOU by July 23 [Note: this date was subsequently changed to September 5] if they wish to participate in the TA program, regardless of any previously signed MOU.
Senior Policy Analyst
- College Endowment Average Return Falls to 2.4 Percent in FY15, Endowment Spending Up Sharply
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis