NACUBO and ACE Release Question and Answer Document on DOD's Tuition Assistance MOU
July 1, 2014
UPDATE (7/10/14): On July 7, DOD made an edit to its May 2014 MOU. Now titled "Change 3," the edit adds a paragraph heading at 4.f.2, "Educational institutions will comply with these requirements for the return of TA funds." Even though this additional text does not change the content or intent of the MOU, DOD is giving institutions until 11:59 p.m. EDT September 5 to sign the new version.
Institutions that have already signed the May 2014 MOU do not need to sign this new version; however, they are required to sign a certification statement acknowledging they are aware of the change. Certification statements are also due to DOD by 11:59 p.m. EDT September 5.
Additionally, the FAQs on the MOU Web site have been updated.
Original News Item:
Last month, NACUBO summarized the main elements and requirements of Department of Defense's Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for its Tuition Assistance program. Now, to help institutions make sense of some of the more confusing components, NACUBO and the American Council on Education have published an MOU Q&A document. The Q&A focuses on the requirements that are not in the 2012 MOU and highlights selected notable differences between the 2012 and 2014 versions.
Institutions may also find the FAQ pages on the MOU Web site helpful. Those pages were last updated on June 19.
DOD published final rules in the Federal Register that included the newest version of the agency's MOU. Colleges and universities are required to sign the MOU by July 23 [Note: this date was subsequently changed to September 5] if they wish to participate in the TA program, regardless of any previously signed MOU.
Senior Policy Analyst
- Broad Coalition Presses for Expansion of Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits
- New GASB Standard Tackles Fiduciary Activities
- New Report Details Charitable Giving to Colleges and Universities
- WEBCAST: Planning Components of Civil Discourse
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Student Financial Services Conference