NACUBO and ACE Release Question and Answer Document on DOD's Tuition Assistance MOU
July 1, 2014
UPDATE (7/10/14): On July 7, DOD made an edit to its May 2014 MOU. Now titled "Change 3," the edit adds a paragraph heading at 4.f.2, "Educational institutions will comply with these requirements for the return of TA funds." Even though this additional text does not change the content or intent of the MOU, DOD is giving institutions until 11:59 p.m. EDT September 5 to sign the new version.
Institutions that have already signed the May 2014 MOU do not need to sign this new version; however, they are required to sign a certification statement acknowledging they are aware of the change. Certification statements are also due to DOD by 11:59 p.m. EDT September 5.
Additionally, the FAQs on the MOU Web site have been updated.
Original News Item:
Last month, NACUBO summarized the main elements and requirements of Department of Defense's Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for its Tuition Assistance program. Now, to help institutions make sense of some of the more confusing components, NACUBO and the American Council on Education have published an MOU Q&A document. The Q&A focuses on the requirements that are not in the 2012 MOU and highlights selected notable differences between the 2012 and 2014 versions.
Institutions may also find the FAQ pages on the MOU Web site helpful. Those pages were last updated on June 19.
DOD published final rules in the Federal Register that included the newest version of the agency's MOU. Colleges and universities are required to sign the MOU by July 23 [Note: this date was subsequently changed to September 5] if they wish to participate in the TA program, regardless of any previously signed MOU.
Senior Policy Analyst
- NACUBO Expresses Concerns with ED Proposal to Expand Federal Financial Responsibility Rules
- IRS Proposes Modifications to 1098-T Reporting
- ED Policy to Require Annual Student Aid Compliance Audits Beginning FY17
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Big Opportunities for Small Institutions
September 20-21, 2016
- 2016 Tax Forum
September 25-27, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives