Maximum Benefit Increases for Post-9/11 GI Bill
July 25, 2012
As of August 1, independent institutions will see veterans’ maximum Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits increase from $17,500 to to $18,077.50. The statutory increase mirrors the increase in the average cost of undergraduate tuition in the United States, as determined by the Department of Education.
When the Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act (PL 111-377) set the maximum benefit at $17,500 for veterans attending independent institutions, it included a provision that allows the benefit to increase in the same manner as Chapter 30 VA benefits (38 USC 3015 h).
That section defines the increase as the amount by which “the average cost of undergraduate tuition in the United States, as determined by the National Center for Educational Statistics, for the last academic year preceding the beginning of the fiscal year for which the increase is made” exceeds the average cost of undergraduate tuition for the academic year preceding the academic year previously mentioned. The resulting maximum benefit is calculated at $18,077.50.
The VA has posted a table of exceptions to the $18,077.50 maximum. This is a result of the Restoring GI Bill Fairness Act of 2011 (PL 112-26), which allows Chapter 33-eligible veterans enrolled since January 4, 2011, to receive the greater of the instituted cap for tuition and fees under the Improvements Act or the established charges that would have been paid under the in-state maximums formula for the original Post-9/11 GI Bill. Benefits paid under the Fairness Act will be available through July 31, 2014, for veterans enrolled in the same institution.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- 2013 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 19-21, 2013
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis