GAO Examines GI Bill Implementation
May 6, 2011In a new report, the Governmental Accountability Office (GAO) recommends that the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) take steps to provide critical program information to school officials so they can effectively administer benefits under the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. Increased collaboration with the Department of Education and the higher education community are also recommended.
The May 5 report, “Veterans’ Education Benefits: Enhanced Guidance and Collaboration Could Improve Administration of the Post-9/11 GI Bill Program,” acknowledges the considerable challenges faced by the VA in implementing the new GI Bill so quickly as well as the progress the agency has made over the last year. GAO makes a number of suggestions for improvements, such as providing more comprehensive guidance for institutions and finding a way to share information on individual veteran’s eligibility and awards with school officials, including those in the business office.
A NACUBO work group has been holding quarterly meetings with representatives from the VA’s Education Services, Finance Services, and Debt Management offices to discuss implementation issues. Bursars and others in the business office with responsibility for VA payments are encouraged to join NACUBO’s VA Processes email group to keep up-to-date and share issues and concerns with colleagues.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET