FTC Extends Deadline for Identity Theft Red Flags Rule
June 15, 2010
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has issued yet another extension on enforcement of the identity theft Red Flags Rule until December 31, 2010. This additional delay will give members of Congress time to consider legislation that would affect the scope of entities covered by the rule. The Red Flags Rule requires creditors and financial institutions to address the risk of identity theft. Under the rule, entities that have "covered accounts" must develop and implement written identity theft prevent programs to help identify, detect, and respond to patterns, practices, or specific activities that could indicate identity theft. The rule became effective on January 1, 2008, with full compliance originally required by November 1, 2008. Since then, the FCC has announced multiple delays in enforcement.
The latest delay comes as members of Congress requested more time to finalize legislation that would limit the scope of business covered by the rule. Although the FTC has granted several extensions, it would like Congress to act swiftly in passing legislation that resolves the question regarding which entities are covered by the rule. The FTC's press release provides more information.
NACUBO's Red Flags resource page provides links to documents and tools to help institutions develop an identity theft protection plan, including sample policies from colleges and universities and an FAQ from the FTC which explains its enforcement plan.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis