ED Letter Outlines HEOA Textbook Provisions
June 15, 2010
Beginning July 1, textbook publishers and colleges and universities must adhere to new requirements included in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) intended to hold down textbook prices. The Department of Education has not promulgated regulations (and is not allowed to do so), but reminded institutions of their responsibilities in a recent Dear Colleague letter.
The Dear Colleague letter (GEN-10-09) lists the responsibilities of each party. Basically, publishers are required to provide certain information to faculty or others at an institution who are engaged in choosing books and other course materials. Institutions must include, to the extent possible, specific information about required and recommended texts (title, author, ISBN, price)along with its online course schedule so that students can effectively comparison shop. Institutions also need to give their affiliated bookstores information about required and recommended texts and expected class enrollments.
The detailed requirements are laid out in Section 133 of the Higher Education Act.
Please note: There is a drafting error in the Dear Colleague letter. The last sentence of the section on what institutions must do states that an institution's online course schedule must include information on the number of students enrolled and the maximum student enrollment for each class. That is incorrect: institutions are required to provide that information to their affiliated bookstores, but do not need to include enrollment information in their class schedules. ED is expected to revise the letter.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET