ED Initiates Rulemaking Process
August 23, 2006
Four public hearings have been scheduled in different cities this fall to solicit input from students, families, institutional administrators, and other stakeholders as the Department of Education begins the process of revising its student financial aid regulations. The hearings are the first step in "negotiated rulemaking," a process mandated by Congress that ED must follow to ensure broad input into the development and modification of Title IV rules. These hearings are scheduled as follows:
- September 19, University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley, California
- October 5, Loyola University, Chicago
- November 2, Royal Pacific Conference Center, Orlando, Florida
- November 8, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C.
ED is soliciting comments on revisions needed to Title IV regulations, including those necessitated by recent statutory changes including the Higher Education Reconciliation Act, encompassing the new Academic Competitiveness and the SMART grant programs. They will also be looking at whether any recommendations put forth by the Secretary's Commission on the Future of Higher Education can be implemented through regulatory change. Written comments will also be accepted.
After gathering input at the hearings, ED proposes to establish as many as four negotiated rulemaking committees on ACG and SMART grant programs; student loan programs; other programmatic, institutional eligibility and general provisions; and accreditation. NACUBO will seek to represent its members on appropriate committees, and we encourage you to share your thoughts and concerns with us.
ED's plans and more information on how to submit comments were published in the Federal Register August 18.
NACUBO Contact: Anne Gross, vice president for regulatory affairs, 202.861.2544
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis