Competition for FIPSE Awards Open
June 15, 2010
Sustainability initiatives and partnerships with Haitian institutions are among the priorities this year for grants from the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE). The Department of Education expects to award more than $27 million to colleges, universities, consortia, and other nonprofits to support reforms, innovations, and significant improvements in higher education. Grants will range in size from $500,000 to $750,000 for projects up to three years long. The deadline for applications is July 29.
A June 14 Federal Register notice provided details about the FY10 FIPSE grant competition, listing eight "invitational" priorities. Applications addressing these priorities will not be given a competitive or absolute preference over other applications, so other types of projects are also eligible for funding.
Several of the invitational priorities stem from provisions added to the Higher Education Act (HEA) by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008. University sustainability initiatives, for instance, are a priority "as described in Section 881 of the Higher Education Act." Others relate to current initiatives and concerns about higher education, such as the priority for innovative models to improve matriculation and graduation rates, transfer of credits, curricular alignment, and articulation agreements. The last priority builds on federal efforts to respond to the devastating earthquake in Haiti, encouraging projects to "develop or enhance educational partnerships and cross-cultural cooperation" between U.S. and Haitian institutions.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET