Carnegie’s Basic Classification Revised and Available for Review
January 3, 2006
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has released a preview of its major revision to the original 1970 classification framework. Documentation of the classification methodology and a tool allowing users to look up classifications of individual institutions are available online. (Viewers must agree not to circulate the classifications in publications, e-mail, and other media.) The preview period is intended to provide opportunity for comment and identification of data errors. The review period will close Wednesday, January 25; a final release is slated for February.
Noteworthy changes to the basic classification include:
- Associate's Colleges are broken into subcategories;
- A new measure of research activity is used for doctorate-granting institutions;
- Master's-level institutions are split into three subcategories; and
- The threshold levels of degree production separating Baccalaureate Colleges, Master's Colleges and Universities, and Doctoral-level institutions have been increased.
In November, five new classification schemes—based on undergraduate program, graduate program, enrollment profile, undergraduate profile, and size/setting—were released by the foundation. Work on a set of "elective" classifications, in which institutions will participate on a voluntary basis, is ongoing and will continue into 2006.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET