Carnegie’s Basic Classification Revised and Available for Review
January 3, 2006
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has released a preview of its major revision to the original 1970 classification framework. Documentation of the classification methodology and a tool allowing users to look up classifications of individual institutions are available online. (Viewers must agree not to circulate the classifications in publications, e-mail, and other media.) The preview period is intended to provide opportunity for comment and identification of data errors. The review period will close Wednesday, January 25; a final release is slated for February.
Noteworthy changes to the basic classification include:
- Associate's Colleges are broken into subcategories;
- A new measure of research activity is used for doctorate-granting institutions;
- Master's-level institutions are split into three subcategories; and
- The threshold levels of degree production separating Baccalaureate Colleges, Master's Colleges and Universities, and Doctoral-level institutions have been increased.
In November, five new classification schemes—based on undergraduate program, graduate program, enrollment profile, undergraduate profile, and size/setting—were released by the foundation. Work on a set of "elective" classifications, in which institutions will participate on a voluntary basis, is ongoing and will continue into 2006.
- NACUBO Responds to FASB's NFP Proposal
- Results Are In: The 2014 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
- NLRB Dismisses Union Bid from Northwestern Football Players
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis