FLSA Overtime Rule Resources
On Wednesday, May 18, 2016, the Department of Labor (DOL) issued new regulations addressing the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The final rule, which takes effect on December 1:
- Sets the overtime wage threshold at $913 per week or $47,476 per year, pegged to the 40th percentile of earnings of full-time salaried workers in the lowest-wage Census Region (currently the South).
- Automatically increases the threshold every three years, beginning on January 1, 2020.
- Recognizes graduate and undergraduate students who are engaged in research or serving as residential advisors to be in an educational rather than an employment relationship with the institution.
- Affirms that graduate students whose primary duty is teaching or serving as teaching assistants fall under the FLSA's teaching exemption.
Below you will find guidance and fact sheets posted by DOL and numerous resources from other organizations. Two DOL documents in particular address the impact on colleges and universities:
- A three-page fact sheet, Overtime Final Rule and Higher Education.
- A more detailed 13-page document, Guidance for Higher Education Institutions on Paying Overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- More Employees Eligible for Overtime Pay Under New Federal Rule (May 18, 2016)
- Implementation of Overtime Proposal Could Cost Schools Millions (April 18, 2016)
- Complimentary Webinars on the New Overtime Rule
- Fair Labor Standards Act Changes-Are You Prepared? (recorded at the 2016 NACUBO Annual Meeting)
This video from this session at the 2016 NACUBO Annual Meeting features Susan Maddux, Vice President, Finance and Administration, Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina, and Laurita Thomas, Associate Vice President for Human Resources, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan and is available complimentary to those that attended the Annual Meeting in Montreal. Others will need to register for access to "NACUBO Live! 2016 Annual Meeting Recorded Sessions." Follow the registration instructions to access "My NACUBO" and all of the recorded sessions from the Annual Meeting.
Other Higher EdUCATION Resources
- NAICU Dear Colleague Letter on Overtime Rule (May 17, 2016)
- NCAA/CUPA-HR White Paper: Exempt Status of Coaches and Trainers Under Overtime Rule (May 20, 2016)
- ACE Issue Brief: Dept. of Labor Overtime Rule: (May 26, 2016)
- CUPA-HR Overtime Rule Homepage: The College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR) has a page devoted to the new Overtime Regulations. Some resources are available to CUPA-HR members only
- Department of Labor Overtime Rule Homepage
- White House Fact Sheet on Overtime Rule
- Overview and Summary of Final Overtime Rule
- Employer Flexibility Options
Director, Tax Policy
Director, Federal Affairs
- NACUBO and FASB Discuss Grant Revenue Recognition
- ED Proposes Auditing Safeguards Rule Compliance
- NACUBO and ACE to Negotiate Rates for Use of Music on Campus
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 7-9, 2017
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis in Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections and Clarifications
Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Results of the 2016 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
- ON-DEMAND: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO