Campus Sexual Assault Prevention
On March 7, 2013, President Obama signed the Violence Against Women Act of 2013 (VAWA) into law. The Reauthorization of the Act includes several provisions that will affect how colleges and universities respond to and address sexual assault on campuses.
VAWA incorporates provisions of an earlier bill, known as the Campus SaVE Act, and codifies parts of an April 2011 Dear Colleague Letter issued by the Office of Civil Rights at the Department of Education.
The following resources will help colleges and universities navigate the changes mandated by the Department of Education and make necessary modifications to existing university procedures and protocols in order to stay compliant under new regulations.
- Office for Civil Rights: Dear Colleague Letter: Sexual Violence (April, 4, 2011)
- Office for Civil Rights: Questions and Answers on Title IX and Sexual Violence (April 29, 2014)
- VAWA negotiated rulemaking session Information and materials
- Federal Register—notice announcing intention to establish a negotiated rulemaking committee (September 19, 2013)
White House Task Force Resources
The White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault was created in January 2014. Co-chaired by the Office of the Vice President and the White House Council on Women and Girls, its goals include providing higher education institutions with best practices for preventing and responding to rape and sexual assault as well as improving transparency of government enforcement activities.
- Rape and Sexual Assault: A Renewed Call to Action (January 2014)—a report analyzing the most recent data regarding rape and sexual assault in the country.
- Not Alone Report (April 2014)—the first report issued by the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault with recommendations for prevention and response.
- Not Alone website—Information for students, schools, and anyone interested in finding resources on how to respond to and prevent sexual assault on campus.
- Campus Climate Surveys—A toolkit to help schools conduct effective yearly surveys.
- Public Service Announcement—Men's groups, Greek organizations, coaches, alumni associations, school officials and other leaders are urged to use the PSA to start campus conversations about sexual assault.
- Confidentiality Reporting—Sample Language for Reporting and Confidentiality Disclosing Sexual Violence.
- Sexual Misconduct Policy Checklist—A checklist with a suggested process for developing a policy.
- Memorandum of Understanding Partnership Agreement—Sample language for schools to use to begin partnerships with local rape crisis centers.
- Negotiators Reach Consensus on Violence Against Women Act Rules (April 4, 2014)
- Spotlight Focused on Campus Sexual Assaults (January 24, 2014)
- ED to Go Forward with Changes to Campus Security Regulations (September 20, 2013)
- ED Issues Guidance on Clery Act Changes (June 3, 2013)
- Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (March 25, 2013)
- TRAINING COURSE—National Association of College & University Attorneys: Title IX Coordinator Training. Eight-session course designed specifically for campus Title IX Coordinators and other administrators with Title IX responsibilities.
- TRAINING COURSE—National Association of College & University Attorneys: Fundamentals of Clery Act Compliance for Campus Counsel and Administrators. Introductory-level eight-session course is designed specifically for campus counsel who advise institutions on Clery Act compliance, as well as for administrators with significant Clery Act responsibilities.
- US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions
Full Committee Hearing—Sexual Assault on Campus: Working to Ensure Safety (June 26, 2014)
- American Association of University Women—Archive of AAUW's live blog coverage for all three VAWA negotiation sessions.
- Virtual Seminar—Title IX Investigations: Advanced Issues, Challenges, and Opportunities (May 22, 2014, 12pm-2:00pm ET) presented by NACUA in cooperation with ACE.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Senator Releases Survey Results on Sexual Assault
- ED Unveils 2014 College Cost Watch Lists
- Inflation-Adjusted Net Tuition Revenue at Private Institutions Flat
- ON-DEMAND: Call the Internal Consultants: Lessons from Business Practice Improvement
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis