The 7 P's of Public Speaking
- Purpose: Why are you speaking? What do you want audience members to know, think, believe, or do as a result of your presentation?
- People: Who is your audience? How do the characteristics, skills, opinions, and behaviors of your audience affect your purpose?
- Place: Why are you speaking to this group now and in this place? How can you plan and adapt to the logistics of this place. How can you use visual aids to help you achieve your purpose?
- Preparation: Where and how can you find good ideas and information for your presentation? How much and what kind of supporting materials do you need?
- Planning: Is there a natural order to the ideas and information you will use? What are the most effective ways to organize your presentation in order to adapt it to the purpose, people, place, etc?
- Personality: How do you become associated with your message in a positive way? What can you do to demonstrate your competence, charisma, and character to the audience?
- Performance: What form of delivery is best suited to the purpose of your presentation? What delivery techniques will make your presentation more effective? How should you practice?
Daly, J., Engleberg, I. 1994. Presentations in Everyday Life: Strategies for Effective Speaking. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company.
Regional and Partner Events
December 2-5, 2014
Dana Point, CA
2015 Summit for Online Leadership and Strategy
January 20-22, 2015
San Antonio, TX
2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
2014 Tax Forum
September 28-30, 2014
NACUBO is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.