Tax Forum Call for Presentations
Do you have expert knowledge and practical wisdom to share for managing tax compliance on campus? NACUBO invites you to submit a proposal to present at the 2012 Tax Forum, October 17-19, 2012, in Las Vegas, NV.
We are seeking presentations addressing the following college and university tax topics. This list is illustrative--relevant topics not appearing on the list will be considered.
- Nonqualified deferred compensation
- Nonresident alien tax compliance
- Payments to foreign entities
- International tax and business issues - doing business in other countries
- Tax exempt bond compliance
- Fringe benefits
- State and local tax issues (including payroll tax implications)
- Reporting issues, including form 990
- Treatment of charitable gifts
- Worker classification - preference for speakers from institutions who have undergone IRS National Research Panel audit
- Recent IRS audits - discussion of issues and IRS approaches
- Presenters sharing experiences with recent IRS College and University Compliance Project audits - discussion of issues and IRS approaches
- Unrelated business income tax issues*
In addition, we plan to offer concurrent sessions tailored specifically to small institutions, and are seeking presentations addressing:
- How to manage tax compliance without a dedicated in-house tax manager
- Form 990 overview: preparation and management in house
- Determination of executive compensation at small institutions
In selecting presentations for the Tax Forum, the program committee will be evaluating sessions best suited to the needs of tax professionals at colleges and universities. Some key considerations as you prepare your proposal:
- Include as much detail as possible about the presentation.
- Include 2-3 learning objectives or audience takeaways
- Gear the presentation towards an audience at the advanced level of understanding, rather than basic treatments or overviews
Guidelines for submission:
- The deadline for submissions was June 11, 2012.
- Submission of a presentation does not guarantee participation in the program.
- Do not submit proposals unless each speaker is available to present at any time during the program dates of October 17-19, 2012.
- Include all presenters that will take part in the presentation. Do not list co-presenters without definite commitment that the co-presenter will be on the program. The co-presenter(s) must agree to all the terms and conditions for participation.
- The program committee prefers that proposals from vendors include at least one speaker from a college or university.
- Acceptance notifications will be sent by August 3, 2012.
- All selected speakers will receive an official confirmation letter. Speakers must complete an agreement form in order to be confirmed for a session.
- Up to two (2) speakers per selected session will be given complimentary registration to the conference.
- Selected presenters are responsible for paying housing and travel incurred in conjunction with participation in the program.
- NACUBO reserves the right to revise presentation titles or edit the session description of selected presentations for NACUBO promotional and program publications.
To be considered for the 2012 program, please complete the online submission form. Please note that a limited number of proposals will be accepted for inclusion.
* The Tax Forum offers content on a wide array of tax issues, while the February 20-22, 2013 Unrelated Business Income Tax workshop focuses solely on this topic area. If submitting on a UBIT topic, please check on the submission form if you want your proposal to be considered for both programs.
Manager, Program Development
- Implementation of Overtime Proposal Could Cost Schools Millions
- NACUBO Responds to GASB Exposure Drafts
- ED Corrects Cash Management Rules
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives