OD: How Changes in Debt Markets Affect Borrowing
Recorded: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:30 pm ET
Debt is a necessary financial tool that most institutions of higher education need to generate financial support for their missions. The credit crunch of 2008-09 has had a significant impact on the debt market. Interest rates are rising; covenants are becoming more restrictive; and the process of borrowing is more difficult to navigate. Changes in the debt market affect national bond markets, state bond programs, and local financial institutions. These changes are having a profound effect not only on new bond issues but existing debt, and debt that is or must be refinanced.
Presidents, boards, and CFOs who are planning new debt issues or refinancing existing issues, or renegotiating letters of credit need to be involved in this webcast. Understanding these markets and how to employ bonds –after careful risk analysis– is an imperative for institutions developing debt financing and managing the refinancing of bonds and collateral instruments.
Participants will hear from the authors of the recent white paper New Realities in the Bond Market and upon registration will receive a complimentary copy in addition to other resources.
What You Will Learn:
- Gain a stronger understanding of the financial markets and the impact they have upon debt covenants and credit ratings
- What areas should institutions watch that may affect them in the future
- Identify needs for short- and long-term planning
- How to optimize the use of capital and construct a debt management framework in today’s ever-changing environment.
Who Should Participate?
- Chief Financial Officers
- Debt managers
Meet the Presenters:
- Jeremy Bass, Senior Managing Consultant, Public Financial Management, Inc.
- Michael Townsley, PhD, Author and Consultant, Stevens Strategy
- Course Level: Intermediate
- Length: 100 minutes
- Prerequisites: none
FeesMember Site Fee: $0.00
Non-Member Site Fee: $49.00
Viewing a Program
If you have registered for a NACUBO webcast:
- Log in to MY NACUBO
- Click My Distance Learning Programs under the My Professional Development Section
- Click the name of the webcast you wish to view
- The webcast will open in a new window
For online purchases NACUBO only accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Diners Club
To pay by check or purchase order
please use our
mail-in registration forms
For further assistance contact
For technical support visit our online:
- Windows XP/Vista/7
- Windows Media Player 10,11 or 12
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or later
- Flash Player 10.x
NACUBO is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.