Technology Budgets Fare Better in 2004
November 3, 2004
Fewer colleges and universities reported cuts to their technology budgets in 2004 than in the previous two years, according to the results of the new Campus Computing Survey. Only one-fourth of the respondents reported cuts to academic or administrative computing budgets this year, compared with about 42 percent last year. In addition, fewer institutions reported suffering mid-year budget cuts (19 percent in 2004 versus 32 percent in 2003), and the cuts were significantly smaller. Network security and administrative budgets were most likely areas for increased funding.
Other key findings include:
- Network security got the most votes for "single most important IT issue," with instructional integration of technology next, followed closely by upgrading or replacing administrative ERP systems.
- More than half of respondents agreed that "open source will play an increasingly important role in our campus IT strategy."
- College and universities continue to try to curb peer-to-peer sharing of copyrighted content on their networks. The proportion of institutions reporting that they have "appropriate use" policies in place increased to 76 percent in 2004, up from 66 percent the year before.
The Campus Computing Project has tracked IT issues at colleges and universities since 1990. More than 500 institutions participated in the most recent survey. A summary of the 2004 survey results is available at www.campuscomputing.net. The complete survey results will be available for purchase in early December.
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis